My cat is missing teeth?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed the other day that my almost-two-year-old cat is missing two of her top teeth. I never really looked at them before so I have no idea when she lost them or if she did. I usually feed them dry but as of last week, I am feeding wet and dry. I don't think her teeth could have rotted so soon. Maybe she did something to cause them to fall out? Could she have been born without them? Her gums aren't discolored. They are that black color and pink. She eats fine, always has. I looked at my boy's teeth and they look fine. What could have caused this???

Thanks in advance!

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three year old cat lost one of his teeth, one of the front little ones on the lower jaw. I know he had it before, but I don't know what could have caused it to fall out. When I noticed it was gone, there was no wound, it wasn't red or swollen or anything. It's been maybe two months since that, the rest of his teeth are perfect, and the place the teeth was looks the same as it did when I first noticed. He eats normally and doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. I didn't consult with a vet because it didn't seem like a problem, but maybe I will depending of what other people respond!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably due to some mechanical damage, if she had them before. I’d take her to a vet dentist for an examination and an X-ray. Wet food rotting teeth is a complete myth. Dry food does nothing for dental health, or any other aspect of health, for that matter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My three year old cat lost one of his teeth, one of the front little ones on the lower jaw. I know he had it before, but I don't know what could have caused it to fall out. When I noticed it was gone, there was no wound, it wasn't red or swollen or anything. It's been maybe two months since that, the rest of his teeth are perfect, and the place the teeth was looks the same as it did when I first noticed. He eats normally and doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. I didn't consult with a vet because it didn't seem like a problem, but maybe I will depending of what other people respond!
Thank you for replying! That sounds like what's wrong with my girl. Yeah, it doesn't bother her at all. That I know of.
Probably due to some mechanical damage, if she had them before. I’d take her to a vet dentist for an examination and an X-ray. Wet food rotting teeth is a complete myth. Dry food does nothing for dental health, or any other aspect of health, for that matter.
How would I know if it were to be mechanical damage? That sounds expensive. Oh, so wet food doesn't rot teeth at all? Period?
Resorption is quite hard to miss, as it’s extremely painful, and generally causes horrible smell and refusal to eat or groom.
Yeah, definitely not that. She has absolutely no problems.

Thank you all for your help!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
How would I know if it were to be mechanical damage? That sounds expensive. Oh, so wet food doesn't rot teeth at all? Period?
Can’t know for certain unless you go for an X-ray — depends on when the damage was. In theory if the gums around her missing teeth are red, or theres a visible jaggedness to her gums, she could have broken her teeth off., but that would only be super visible if the damage was done recentl. That said, broken roots of teeth can persist for months, if not years under the gumline before starting to cause pain, potentially infection. If she has retained roots, they need removal.

Wet food “rots” teeth as much as dry food does. Any food will lead to plaque development. Only sure fire way to preserve teeth is to brush them with an enzymatic pet toothpaste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you.

Her gums don't appear to be red or jagged. If she did break them off, I think it would have a while ago. I'll try to get a picture.

Okay. I have always heard that dry food rots their teeth faster.