My Cat Is Missing Since A Week And I Think He Is Trapped In An Abandoned House

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My cat went missing for 2 weeks earlier this year and was found in an abandoned house. What I found out later was that he had been going there to play with another cat on a regular basis but someone didn't leave for 2 weeks. I got him back and he went back to his regular schedule of going out in the mornings and returning in the evenings. However, last Sunday, he went out in the morning and didn't return. I've done everything from putting up flyers, talking to the neighbours, informing his microchip company and the vet, but there is no news so far. Yesterday evening, I decided to walk around the block and called out to him, when I heard a cat crying from an abandoned yard right next to where I found him last time. Trouble is this yard is sealed off and I tried to look for him, but couldn't find him there. The house where I think he's trapped is also sealed off and I have no idea how he could've got in there. The police didn't intervene since they said they'd need to contact the owner to open the house. I'm distressed since I'm not sure my cat has had anything to eat or drink for the past week and I'm not sure how to get him out. I pushed some croquets under the door and even some water, but I'm not sure it's enough. Also, I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to enter the property to replenish his food and water. Why do cat's behave like this? He is sterilised, so what possible reason could he have to get trapped in a place he can't get out of, and so suddenly? Please advise on what I could do?
Thank you for your suggestions

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry about your cat! I am not sure I follow the order of the events that have occurred. Did you contact the police before or after you heard the cat meowing? If they don't know you heard the cat, contact them again. Also, were they going to try to reach the owners or not?

How did you get on the property to provide food and water the first time? Why can't you do the same thing again?

Are there any neighbors who know the people who own the house? Perhaps they could contact them?

You might want to contact the local SPCA office and ask for advice and help. And, if you live in a city/state with local news groups that have teams that work with residents to solve problems, I would be calling them as well.

Worry about getting your cat out of there for now, and put off wondering why he did it until he is back safe with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I contacted the police before going in. I told them I heard the cat, and my neighbour who was with me did too. But they said that they cannot do anything unless they themselves hear the cat after which they will contact the supervisor who will then telephone the town hall to ask for the owner's number. The trouble is, my cat is very scared of people and only answers to me. So when there were other people knocking on the door of the house, he must've gotten scared and hid somewhere. I don't really know. But he didn't answer while they were around. So I tried to push food under the door before I left the property. Trouble is I did it while the police were there, but I'm not sure I can do it again and again for fear of tresspassing.
I will try talking to other people living there to see if they can give me the name and number of the owner. Since today is Sunday, the SPCA also didn't answer the telephone. So I will try them again tomorrow. I'm doing everything I can and only hope that he's fine and that I get him back safely.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How about the local news groups that I suggested? Pretty sure if any of them have a team that works on residents' issues, they would likely be available on a Sunday as well. Can't hurt to try...

You can also tell the police that you would like their help again, but to go with you and please be quiet so that the cat only hears your voice. If that is enough to get your cat to make a noise in front of them, they are going to have to pursue the matter.

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to contact everyone possible. I just hope they can help me get him out....bureaucracy takes very long sometimes.
But once I get him I'll never let him out. I think it's safer for both of us that way.

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
None that I know of. I will try to contact the owner directly and in case he says I should ask the police first, I'll tell him that I already have. I just hope they co-operate and only check the property without making too much hassle.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you saying you think you found the owner? If so, that is a great start!

CBS, ABC, and NBC all have local news groups with these 'help' teams in my area. Perhaps you could start with whatever channels that are affiliated with your region and contact them about these 'help' teams? For example, here in Central Florida the local CBS news help team is called "Local 6 Getting Results".

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me too Just be quick about it and whatever you do when you do get your cat back don't let it outside again because it will just go back and do it again
Me too Just be quick about it and whatever you do when you do get your cat back don't let it outside again because it will just go back and do it again
I'd do that if I was in my own country. Since I'm not a resident here, if I end up in trouble, I could loose my student licence/ job permit. :(

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've asked a few friends to help and they said they'll help in any way possible to get him out.

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Then enlist the help of a sympathetic neighbor.
Yes, I am trying to find someone who would be willing to do what's necessary.
I just hope it all works out.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am not understanding. How in the world is the house and yard sealed off? You mean the house is locked up but you can hear your cat's cries from within it?

Pri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
You all will be very happy to know that I managed to recover my cat. It took quite a bit of effort since we had to get the owner's permission (which he gladly gave us. In fact, he was even fine with us tearing down the place to recover the cat) after which we indeed had to break open the doors, windows, etc, to find a way to get in. My neighbours and people who responded to some online messages my friends posted offered to help, and finally, we managed to get him back, safe and sound! It turns out he fell through the roof of a dilapidated house during one of his "outdoor adventures" and couldn't climb back out. As for now, he seems fine, just a bit hungry and thirsty, but he's relaxed now and constantly looking for cuddles :)
Thank you all for your kind support and advice. It's reassuring to know that there are still people who care about animals as much as humans :)