My cat is missing, she might be in the wall, but..

CharlieMagne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My house was swatted at 6 in the morning, only a few hours after I got home and I was asleep with my cat. I was quickly pinned and cuffed, with no idea as to where my cat ran off to. The swat team waiting outside denied ever seeing her run outside and after the investigation was done and they left, I heard meowing inside the house, but couldn't find her. I think she hid in the tunnel upstairs where the air conditioning pipes are running through (the silver and black ones). I haven't seen her, and haven't heard a meow in almost 24 hours and I'm terrified. I put a bowl of tuna in the tunnel hoping she'd come out and eat but nothing so far..I don't know what to do

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have unfortunately had this issue several times in the past. Lets see...maybe try this one. HELP! Adopted Shelter Cat and he is Hiding in Wall - that wasn't the thread I was thinking of (this has happened several times) but it does look on point.

24 hours doesn't seem too bad after something legit terrifying.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What a horrible experience! You have probably done this but open every inside door, cabinet, cubboard and drawer and leave them ajar just in case. Use a flashlight to check under beds, up in bedframes and behind pieces of furniture. When they are scared they can squeeze into the tiniest of places.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for what you went through. If she is an indoor-only cat, and did get outside, she could have retreated to some place underneath the house, or in bushes, or any other kind of shed/dwelling you have on the property. She could have also run to a neighbor's house and is hiding in similar places. So, you need to look in those places and elicit your neighbors' help as well.

If you truly think that the meowing you heard was from inside your home, and you know specifically where she might have retreated to, then you need to spend time there, calling to her and shaking a can/bag of food/treats at that location while calling to her (you can do the same outside as well). You also need to know where the tunnel upstairs where the air conditioning pipes are running through leads to, and trace it to the end. She could be afraid to come out the way she went in, so you need to know where it leads to in case she is trying to leave in that direction.

This takes diligence and persistence. So, you have to keep looking for her, multiple times day and night. While looking for her outside, especially at night, take a flashlight and shine it in all the hiding spots you can think of - you might just find the light reflection in her eyes. It might get her to come out right away, but at least you would have an idea as to where she might be hiding.

Please keep us posted. We are rooting for you to find your dear cat!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And when you retrieve her, please try to find a way to block off access to that area (even if you just stuff it full of old towels, etc). She'll remember that spot and return to it if frightened again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CharlieMagne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a horrible experience! You have probably done this but open every inside door, cabinet, cubboard and drawer and leave them ajar just in case. Use a flashlight to check under beds, up in bedframes and behind pieces of furniture. When they are scared they can squeeze into the tiniest of places.
Okay, I'm cleaning out the hidey hole today. It's a weird tunnel that goes from my room to the far back room. I figured if I clean it out, move all the christmas junk out, she'd be able to see and smell me? I left the tuna in there and I'm wondering if the juice evaporates fast or my cat managed to get to it and drink the tuna juice.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm cleaning out the hidey hole today. It's a weird tunnel that goes from my room to the far back room. I figured if I clean it out, move all the christmas junk out, she'd be able to see and smell me? I left the tuna in there and I'm wondering if the juice evaporates fast or my cat managed to get to it and drink the tuna juice.
I don’t know it would evaporate that fast, but I would try some wet food and be sure to leave water there too. She may come down at night to use her litterbox so have one very near by.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how sad. Do try to look outdide just in case as they usually run to the nearest hiding spot and are so traumatized they are silent. Also use a flashlight in the dark as you may be able to see eyes glowing. Praying kitty is safe and will be found soon.

CharlieMagne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know it would evaporate that fast, but I would try some wet food and be sure to leave water there too. She may come down at night to use her litterbox so have one very near by.
Just planted 4 little Tupperware of wet food, chicken flavor, in the 4 holes I can access. Despite my roomate throwing a fit, I managed to convince him to open the way to the tunnel in his area. I'm sitting in my room listening for her and shaking her food bowl here and there. I'd send photos, but the police have my phone.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that tunnel large enough for you to fit in? If so, crawl through it and see what you can see. If not, walk along the wall adjacent to it calling for her and stopping every few feet to put your ear against it and listen.

If you're really worried you could try finding someone with a sewer camera (plumbers and sometimes handymen have them) and seeing if they'd be willing to push it through the tunnel. They probably wouldn't do it for free, but it's something to look into.

CharlieMagne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is that tunnel large enough for you to fit in? If so, crawl through it and see what you can see. If not, walk along the wall adjacent to it calling for her and stopping every few feet to put your ear against it and listen.

If you're really worried you could try finding someone with a sewer camera (plumbers and sometimes handymen have them) and seeing if they'd be willing to push it through the tunnel. They probably wouldn't do it for free, but it's something to look into.
It's too small for me to walk in the entire wall length. There's a bunch of metal boxes on one side and the other side that leads to my room is crowded with the pipes.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sucks you got hit in a raid hope you find your cat soon its time to invest in a few difgital scanners :lol:the few minutes you get to prepare make alot of difference

CharlieMagne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any update??
Unfortunately, no sign of her..

I decided to go forward with putting up Lost Cat posters, used a site called LostMyKitty to spread the word, and still nothing. I'm honestly terrified, she doesn't know this area at all. She JUST moved here before we were swatted.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, no sign of her..

I decided to go forward with putting up Lost Cat posters, used a site called LostMyKitty to spread the word, and still nothing. I'm honestly terrified, she doesn't know this area at all. She JUST moved here before we were swatted.
Oh no. Have you gone out and looked under and in things with a flashlight at night? She is probably so scared

CharlieMagne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: Someone has spotted what sounds like my cat at a nearby convenience store. I'm going to get some cat traps and set them up there with her favorite blanket and some of my clothes in hops she'll go in. The entire neighborhood is on watch for her.

CharlieMagne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update
Due to the swatting, the landlord refused to renew the lease. So I have to leave the area my cat went missing...and as far as I'm told, it's most likely someone just..took her. Spotted her and just took her in. I really prefer that idea than her being in the streets, cold and all alone. I thank everyone for the advice...

I write this with lots of tears already having been shed, but I still miss her. She and I were homeless together, I raised her and she was my everything. I hate that someone's actions caused the domino effect that made me lose the one thing I couldn't emotionally handle losing.

Again, thank you to everyone who offered advice..