My cat is missing part of it's lip

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since I found my cat as a kitten, he's had part of his lip missing, only on one side, I looked up what could be the problem and google says it might be an ulcer. Recently the side has been swollen and I've been waiting to get a pet carrier to be delivered so I can take him to the vet. He doesn't seem to be in any pain from it, but I am worried. But in the mean time while I wait, I'm seeing if anyone can tell what it is and if I can do anything to help.
I live on a small island in the Philippines currently and without a car so it makes it harder for me to take him to the only vet.

Attachments

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This looks like a rodent ulcer
I dont think its that the cat is missing part of its lip... I would take your cat to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you saying your cat has been missing part of his lip for a long time? If so, it likely wasn't due to an ulcer. However, now that it is swollen, there may be some underlying reason for the missing lip to begin with that is now manifesting itself with an ulcer or other infection. Even if he may be eating OK, it still likely is painful, at least when he eats and drinks.

Either way, I think it is a very good idea that you will taking him to a vet as soon as you possibly can.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you find your kitty? Did the lip look healed when you found him? I am wondering it it might have recently happened and could have gotten infected hence the swelling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you find your kitty? Did the lip look healed when you found him? I am wondering it it might have recently happened and could have gotten infected hence the swelling.
the lip seemed to be healed, no bleeding or farther damage when I started taking care of him. I think I found him 3 months ago? He's an indoor outdoor cat, so something might have happened to his lip and it got infected is my guess.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Metal Fox !

I believe you're right about the ulcer. While there's usually no infection involved with these, a competent Vet can evaluate for that.

I'll give you a reliable reference for Rodent Ulcers - just in case the Vet you're talking about isn't up-to-speed or experienced with these. Lots of us here have learned the hard way that Vets are not 'all created equal' !

Here you are: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex - VeterinaryPartner.com. You'll see that this ECG shows up in a number of 'types', one being 'Rodent Ulcer". I wouldn't worry too much about the cause - oftentimes, cats' immune systems react to 'transient' allergens, other times to 'phantom' ones.....no allergen present, just an 'overactive' immune response.

Now, at least you'll know what the standard of care would be for a rodent ulcer - translation: what you should expect. (from my own experience and from reading others' experiences, low-dose steroid treatment isn't effective - the one-time Depo-Medrol shot 'zaps' it)

And, there's no emergency involved with this sort of thing, especially as you say it's been there "Since I found my cat as a kitten" and, now you've included a 3-month timeline. Still, best to at least make a plan with a deadline date to have him seen.

Let us know how that goes!

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - "Rodent Ulcers" can 'absorb' a lip........so maybe it's unlikely that there was something earlier...underlying/predisposing/etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Metal Fox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Metal Fox !

I believe you're right about the ulcer. While there's usually no infection involved with these, a competent Vet can evaluate for that.

I'll give you a reliable reference for Rodent Ulcers - just in case the Vet you're talking about isn't up-to-speed or experienced with these. Lots of us here have learned the hard way that Vets are not 'all created equal' !

Here you are: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex - VeterinaryPartner.com. You'll see that this ECG shows up in a number of 'types', one being 'Rodent Ulcer". I wouldn't worry too much about the cause - oftentimes, cats' immune systems react to 'transient' allergens, other times to 'phantom' ones.....no allergen present, just an 'overactive' immune response.

Now, at least you'll know what the standard of care would be for a rodent ulcer - translation: what you should expect. (from my own experience and from reading others' experiences, low-dose steroid treatment isn't effective - the one-time Depo-Medrol shot 'zaps' it)

And, there's no emergency involved with this sort of thing, especially as you say it's been there "Since I found my cat as a kitten" and, now you've included a 3-month timeline. Still, best to at least make a plan with a deadline date to have him seen.

Let us know how that goes!

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - "Rodent Ulcers" can 'absorb' a lip........so maybe it's unlikely that there was something earlier...underlying/predisposing/etc
Thank you very much! I've also notice that the swelling has went down and his lip is looking better. The last time I was at the vet I buying food for my other cat and puppy, she wasn't sure too sure of what it was, and to just bring him in if it looked infected. She also said it was something that doesn't usually happen to cats? I feel like she isn't that experienced, but she's better than nothing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Rodent Ulcers" can 'absorb' a lip........so maybe it's unlikely that there was something earlier...underlying/predisposing/etc
I only suggested an other underlying issue as a possibility because OP made the comment "since I found my cat as a kitten, he's had part of his lip missing, only on one side" - and that made me think they have had the cat for quite a long while. That is why I asked how about the timeline. Now knowing the short duration of time involved, rodent ulcer is a much more likely cause.