My Cat Is Missing A Claw?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey kitty lovers,

My baby Jiggy seems to be missing a claw on her front right leg. This must have happened quite some time ago because there is no blood, scab or anything. Just completely smooth fur and I've thoroughly rubbed the whole area and she didn't flinch at all. Will her claw grow back or not?

She has remained the same bubbly and playful kitty hence why I never thought to look as she didn't indicate any discomfort.

Thanks in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How long have you had Jiggy, and have you ever checked her claws before and saw the one that is now missing? If not, it is possible that she never had that one to begin with. I am not sure that a claw that has been totally ripped out/removed would grow back.

If it is not causing any issues, ask the vet about it on Jiggy's next visit, and see if there is anything like an x-ray or something that could shed any light on the structure of that toe with regard to the missing claw.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this the first time you've noticed it? Perhaps she was born without that claw.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind looks like she's missing the whole toe. Is there a toe pad for that one?

How old was she when you got her?

Usually a torn-out claw will regrow. The entire nail bed has to be removed for it not to grow back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's definitely had 5 claws and there's a toepad there. I haven't trimmed her nails in over a month hence why I just realised now.
I've had her since she was 8 weeks and now she's almost 18 months old.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It'll probably grow back then. Might take a few months. In my experience a torn-out claw does look like it won't come back for a while after it happens, but it will unless the nail bed was damaged. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it grows back properly, they usually do.