My cat is limping, what can I do to help?

carrielyn

Pastor Carrie Hayes
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just found my cat upstairs, I could not find her. And she cannot stand up. Until I can get her to the vet, what can I do to help her please? Any recommendations.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is she injured or has she collapsed? Could you give us some more details on what happened to her?

Sudden collapse or loss of use in her legs could be an emergency life-threatening situation. Is there an ER vet you can take her to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrielyn

Pastor Carrie Hayes
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, and thank you for reaching out! She cannot stand on both legs, she is limping, and it is a bit swollen. I have called my vet, and she will see him tomorrow. I would like to keep her comfortable until then. Furthermore, I could not find her for about 7 hours and when I did, she was limping and could not stand up.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
carrielyn carrielyn , if you can't get her to the ER vet, try to keep her confined in a large dog crate if you have one or a small bathroom or similar room where she can't jump up on anything. Don't forget to move her litter box and water in the room also.

I hope you can get her to an emergency vet though as that is the ideal situation. Or let your regular vet know it is an emergency so she can be seen ASAP.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is nothing you can give your cat that wouldn’t be toxic and kill her. Unfortunately cats cannot process many human medications and products like anti inflammatory or pain medications are highly toxic to cats.
You really need to take her to an urgent care hospital or an ER. This is an emergency.