My Cat Is In Heat

Surprise96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long does it take for my cat to go out of heat and how to tell.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are induced ovulators and are never really out of heat :/. They can always get pregnant if a male forces himself on her---the act of mating is what stimulates ovulation. As for actively calling, she'll do that for about a week, then keep doing it every couple of weeks until she is mated or is spayed (and some cats will take a break in early winter).

It would be best to spay her. Being in heat all the time is very hard on a cat's body, and her calling all the time can be very hard on your mental health! If you need help finding a spay clinic let us know.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not much I can add to that, except to say that the two week break isn't set in stone. I've seen cats who only went a few days between bouts.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Sandwich is in heat right now and very vocal hissing growling at the other cat and their was white stuff coming out of her is that normal I just happened to catch it before she cleaned herself

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Kitten Season. That means cats' reproductive systems are going into high gear.

Cats can mate and reproduce at any time of the year but they are most active from spring, through summer and into the fall.

During Kitten Season, female cats will be on the prowl more often. Male cats will spend a lot of time searching for available females to mate with.

Your cat's behavior is a direct result of her not being spayed and will continue throughout her life if she remains unspayed.

It will get worse during Kitten Season, in the spring and summer months.

Getting your cat spayed or neutered is virtually the only way to stop this from happening.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She's not my cat and I don't have say but her owner wants her to have kittens I have my cat spayed