My Cat Is Hurting Herself

Jkeays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is 9 y/o and about 2 months ago she started licking and scratching herself in the neck to the point of injuring herself. She also pats her head on everything around the house and purr's doing it but she also injures herself.

I dont think its fleas because I have a 2nd cat that doesnt have any symptoms. Also I have a new girlfriend who has a "loud" personnality unlike me, so I dont know if she might just be stressed about the changes in the house.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome, I'm really glad you're here!!

Take a look at this and the embedded links in it also, there might be something to help. Also, try some music, there's MusicForCats . com, or even classical harp music can be helpful in calming cats, low volume for an hour or so at a time;

You, Your Cat And Stress

In addition, from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 try this;

You can actually use a wash of chilled chamomile tea. The nice thing about this is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, and the English variety that is common in gardens is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and use a clean cotton ball or similar to apply.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just adding a bit to the chamomile tea thing...IF this is caused by anxiety, you can also give it internally. It is gently calming, without being sedating, and certainly worth trying before resorting to something like Prozac for really severe cases. Take the chilled tea and administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls via syringe up to 3 times a day. If your cat is over, say, 10-11 pounds, you can safely give up to 3 TABLESPOONFULS at a time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be ear mites and they will drive her crazy. Ear mite treatment is simple ear drops. Definitely treat for mites just in case. Very good observation!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be severe allergies caused by food or environmental. My cat was licking herself raw. We had to take her to the animal dermatologist and have testing done - she's now on allergy shots 2x per week and also an immune suppressant medication called atopica 5x per week. Her itching has stopped and she's comfortable now.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may also consider that she might have developed allergies to something (or is reacting to something new) and is scratching herself to the point of injury, or she could have some sort of skin condition developing.

Either way, a vet visit is in order, at least for the open wounds, and maybe they can shine some light on why she's scratching herself and bumping her head. Hopefully it's easily treatable!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'I don't think it is fleas' is always the number 1 thing I hear and half the time that is what it is.... Cats can have a flea allergy which means 1 single flea hops on and bites and they break out in itchy irritated scabs, and as they keep scratching they get more and more itchy and then you have an issue like this on your hands.

Buy a flea comb and see if you pull any off. Look for any black flecks and if you comb any off put them on a paper towel and dribble a little water on it, if they turn reddish you have fleas. If your pets are not on flea prevention it is very difficult to rule that out without checking.