My Cat Is Having Slight Tremors After Having Anesthesia

dinahsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My almost 5-year-old Maine Coon mix, Dinah, had to be shaved at a local vet hospital last Monday for huge and tight mats for which they had to use an injected anesthesia because she was terrified and they were concerned that she might have a stroke, etc. I stayed there and waited for her to be ready to go home, I couldn't just drop her off and come back because I was very worried about her. After 4-5 hours post shaving she was still so out of it that they wouldn't release her. So, I waited another 2 hours and then they felt she was okay to go home, but she was still asleep and dopey. It took her a day and a half to be able to walk okay without falling over, during which time she vomited several times. On the third day she began eating and drinking normally. She seems to be herself again now in general, eating and playing as before, but she has a slight tremor from time to time and some muscle jerking....no seizures but it's still scary. It doesn't seem to interfere with her sleeping, but I'm worried that she has a neurotoxic reaction from the anesthetic. Has anyone had the same bad reaction from having their cat under anesthesia? And, is there anything I can do to help her heal from this or is it permanent?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can shake after anaesthetic because of nerves. Anaesthetic can also affect temperature control of the body. The seizures you speak of don't sound like this.

Since your cat is experiencing these symptoms over 48 hours later I think you should contact your vet. He or she should be able to tell you whether you should take your cat back in.