My Cat is Having an issue and I'm not sure how to help

TheDragonLady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So at this point in me and my husband's lives, we are undergoing a transitional period that's rather uncomfortable and so our sweet cat Chunk is having to stay in a different area than us. Hes very attached to my husband and so I can tell this is stressful for him as well as us. We can tell hes gained a bit of weight which isnt surprising to us considering its winter, but what is surprising is that everytime me or my husband pick him up, he poops everywhere! I believe this could be due to stress or fear (since there is a new dog in the area we are staying). I am hoping to take him to the vet soon, but until then I'm thinking this is due to maybe some separation anxiety and fear, but I dont know how to help him. And suggestions will help, thank you very much ❤

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS. :wave3: Second, it does sound like your cat is experiencing a stressful situation. I don't mean to pry but if you could possibly explain why Chunk is staying in a different area than you we might be able to help, i.e. why isn't he in the same room with you? Did you bring his old litter box with you? You mentioned a dog but does he have any contact with the dog, does the dog bark a lot? I'm sorry to ask these questions but just trying to better understand your situation.

Here are two TCS Articles that may have some helpful information for you:
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Separation Anxiety In Cats – Cat Articles

Best of luck with Chunk, please keep us posted on your progress. :alright:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hate change. You didn't give a lot of details about when and where, so its a little hard to speculate if it is just change or there might be a medical issue.

Maybe you can give us some more details about when you moved, where the cat is at /moved to, and how the cat reacted, and how that has progressed?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything is new to him. So I agree it could be stress, or a whole other medical issues. So it is wise to bring him to the vet.

Cats can also feel anxiety when separated from everything familiar to him. At least give him some stuff from his old home, aside from his bed and litter boxes.

Whatever it is you are going through, I pray all will be fine and well very soon. And I do hope you can get back your sweet Chunk to your home once again.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought of one more thing to add. When a cat is very stressed, they don't generally take comfort in being picked up by their human and it can actually cause them further stress. Granted, they usually show that by scratching their human to get down, and I've not heard of pooping in this situation, but maybe that could be an issue. In general, when even a well bonded cat is badly stressed, they need their space.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has gained weight, picking him up may now be painful. It being winter isn't an excuse if he is being overfed. Cut back on his diet. Overweight kitties develop diabetes and other health problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheDragonLady111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS. :wave3: Second, it does sound like your cat is experiencing a stressful situation. I don't mean to pry but if you could possibly explain why Chunk is staying in a different area than you we might be able to help, i.e. why isn't he in the same room with you? Did you bring his old litter box with you? You mentioned a dog but does he have any contact with the dog, does the dog bark a lot? I'm sorry to ask these questions but just trying to better understand your situation.

Here are two TCS Articles that may have some helpful information for you:
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Separation Anxiety In Cats – Cat Articles

Best of luck with Chunk, please keep us posted on your progress. :alright:
Thank you very much. Me and my husband are in the process of joining the US navy and so we're staying with family. Chunk would be living in the same room as us, but he's a very solitary cat and gets into fights with the other cats in the house(4), so he's been staying in a mother in law house in the backyard with my brother in law. I did not bring his original litterbox, as hes a cat that usually skips the litterbox and goes outside. The dog does not necessarily bark but he is very excitable and curious and will run up to Chunk. Chunk is only ever exposed to him when we try to bring him to our room in the house, and that's where he has his problems. We've decided to try to only visit him out in his room for the time being as to not put any more stress on him. It's just a shame because we would love to keep him in our room with us and cuddle with him.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely keep the cat in a single room and prevent interaction with the dog. Also try to bring his original litterbox or at least get one like it. There are a lot of stress factors in what you mentioned, plus the transition from going outside to going in the litter box inside can be difficult. So there are two big issues here, both arising at the same time. Whatever you can do to eliminate any of the stressors is worth trying.

If problems persist, you might also try keeping chunk in the bathroom for a day or two for a "litterbox reset". It is something that I don't see in guides, but was recommended to me once, that I tried, that seemed to help when I had a cat in the same situation. We did not convert that cat to indoor only, but the "reset" seemed to help with times when she spent tons of time inside like storms, winter bitter cold and thing like that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is pooping out of fear. He was picked up, brought to a strange place and left without his people a good part of the time. Couldn’t you keep him in your room if you left the door shut so that the other cats can’t get in? While he might be stressed by them in the other side of the door it may be less stress that what he is already experiencing. And having the two of you at night would be a great comfort to him. Just curious what your plans are for him while you are both away at training?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think he is pooping out of fear. He was picked up, brought to a strange place and left without his people a good part of the time. Couldn’t you keep him in your room if you left the door shut so that the other cats can’t get in? While he might be stressed by them in the other side of the door it may be less stress that what he is already experiencing. And having the two of you at night would be a great comfort to him. Just curious what your plans are for him while you are both away at training?
:yeah: My thoughts exactly! If you add up all the stress factors it's understandable why Chunk is acting this way. :frown:

We've decided to try to only visit him out in his room for the time being as to not put any more stress on him. It's just a shame because we would love to keep him in our room with us and cuddle with him.
Thanks for explaining your circumstances and living situation in more detail. I wish there was a way for you to keep him in your room too. I'm sure that would help alleviate some of the stress he is going through. Or could your husband and you move into the mother-in-law house in the backyard in order to keep Chunk with you? It might help calm him to try a plug in Felliway diffuser also.