My cat is growling, screaming and running away from his food and won’t eat

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know anyone to help me, and all those links are ones I already looked at or called nobody can help. I’ve had 3 years of issues with my cat and nobody ever helps, even seeing the cat is suffering and dozens of rescues trap strays to help and charge to adopt, but won’t help someone disabled who has zero financial help for doing “the right thing” 🙄 not only is my cat suffering, but mentally this is taking a toll on my health too! I’ve never been so depressed or severe panic attacks and anxiety.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I reread your original post. Wanted to say I had a cat named Yogi who died in 2018 of intestinal lymphoma. He had a mass. We did not do a biopsy but we did cytology where cells were extracted with a needle and sent to the lab. The results showed most likely lymphoma. Vets said surgical removal of the mass usually resulted in it coming back. Yogi was 14. I did not pursue chemotherapy. He had ongoing nausea, vomiting, and liquid diarrhea. We treated all of those symptoms with meds and toward the end he was getting Sub-Q fluids with vitamins every other day. It was difficult to find Foods he was willing to eat. When he got down to four pounds and was fainting in my hallway from lack of nutrients, I had to be his best friend and let him go. I am sharing because you asked if any of us had cats with similar symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got two videos, the crunching noise is NOT food and he is doing this constantly, this follows growling and screaming. Whatever this is stops him from eating more than a few licks of food and he’s losing weight.

It won’t let me post the videos from my iPhone ! ☹

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just happened to read today that the loud chewing or crunching that a cat does with its mouth signals nausea. I never knew that before and my Yogi did that long before I discovered he had intestinal lymphoma. I told the vets what he was doing and none of them knew what it meant but I found it online.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You do not need to post videos. We believe you. We just do not know how to help you at this point. Can you tell us specifically what you need?

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just happened to read today that the loud chewing or crunching that a cat does with its mouth signals nausea. I never knew that before and my Yogi did that long before I discovered he had intestinal lymphoma. I told the vets what he was doing and none of them knew what it meant but I found it online.
I read more into this and you are right, this could be what’s going on. It also said the jaw might dislocate due to calcium issues from the starvation and it could only get worse as time goes on and it’s painful. Someone offered to help financially but they need to know if it’s dental or stomach related Agra’s of time and I honestly can’t tell the difference.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
The prices you are quoting are astronomical.

Have you tried shopping around for more vets? Googling low cost vets in your area?

The Facebook group you mentioned that works with ferals and strays - is it a local group? If so, ask them for low cost vets, they would know. Call around (again) to local rescues and ask if they know of any low cost vets.

Can you give us your general location? We can help find resources in your area, maybe even bug some places on social media to help you get their attention.

Appointments here average ~$40-45. Dental cleaning is several hundred, close to $500 with multiple extractions.

But there are some vets here charge closer to what you’re saying. So be sure to shop around and ask if the clinic will work on a payment plan with you.

The problem is that people aren’t really sure how to help you if you can’t accept money.

What if donations were called in directly to the clinic under the cats name? Most clinics will do this if asked.

And i agree with others regarding the steroids.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The prices you are quoting are astronomical.

Have you tried shopping around for more vets? Googling low cost vets in your area?

The Facebook group you mentioned that works with ferals and strays - is it a local group? If so, ask them for low cost vets, they would know. Call around (again) to local rescues and ask if they know of any low cost vets.

Can you give us your general location? We can help find resources in your area, maybe even bug some places on social media to help you get their attention.

Appointments here average ~$40-45. Dental cleaning is several hundred, close to $500 with multiple extractions.

But there are some vets here charge closer to what you’re saying. So be sure to shop around and ask if the clinic will work on a payment plan with you.

The problem is that people aren’t really sure how to help you if you can’t accept money.

What if donations were called in directly to the clinic under the cats name? Most clinics will do this if asked.

And i agree with others regarding the steroids.
$500 for multiple extractions where you live! Here that’s over $1000 not counting cost of antibiotics or pain killers if needed.

all week I have been trying to find help. I posted on Facebook again for my area and the majority of people just went on to criticize me. A few offered to help but then weren’t comfortable calling in donations they insisted it had to be a fundraiser and nobody believed me that disability won’t allow go fund me fundraisers in my name. yes my vet does accept call in donations. I tried calling low cost vets but they don’t even offer dental extractions or care. I think you meant vets with financial aid options that lower the cost? I did call them, either their hours are so limited I won’t even get the cat in, they are booked, or the financial aid program they offer I am not eligible for help. Many only help for an emergency and dental care isn’t considered an emergency.

My family and I have decided we most likely need to euthanize, but we still don’t have money for that. Someone from PETA donated $200 to me but we still need $300. I’ve been upset everyday over this and depressed.
I live on Long Island, NY 11704
At this point my cat barely can eat the steroids won’t do anything, and with risk of dying under anesthesia given his poor weight, age, and health I doubt he’d survive that even if we had the money.

Our vet said nobody can go in for euthanasia, they bring the animal in to sedate, then out to our car and euthanize in the back seat, very sad Covid really ruins everything 😞

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
$500 for multiple extractions where you live! Here that’s over $1000 not counting cost of antibiotics or pain killers if needed.

all week I have been trying to find help. I posted on Facebook again for my area and the majority of people just went on to criticize me. A few offered to help but then weren’t comfortable calling in donations they insisted it had to be a fundraiser and nobody believed me that disability won’t allow go fund me fundraisers in my name. yes my vet does accept call in donations. I tried calling low cost vets but they don’t even offer dental extractions or care. I think you meant vets with financial aid options that lower the cost? I did call them, either their hours are so limited I won’t even get the cat in, they are booked, or the financial aid program they offer I am not eligible for help. Many only help for an emergency and dental care isn’t considered an emergency.

My family and I have decided we most likely need to euthanize, but we still don’t have money for that. Someone from PETA donated $200 to me but we still need $300. I’ve been upset everyday over this and depressed.
I live on Long Island, NY 11704
At this point my cat barely can eat the steroids won’t do anything, and with risk of dying under anesthesia given his poor weight, age, and health I doubt he’d survive that even if we had the money.

Our vet said nobody can go in for euthanasia, they bring the animal in to sedate, then out to our car and euthanize in the back seat, very sad Covid really ruins everything 😞
$1,000 is way above what it costs at most clinics, which is why I’d urge you to call around to every vet clinic you could feasible get to for pricing - and that includes euthanasia cost and procedure.

We euthanized our cat last week, and it was a home euthanasia. The vet and her tech came out to our house to do it so that our cat could pass in the comfort of his own home. All that was required were masks and everyone tried to keep as much distance as possible.

That service, plus a private cremation, ink paw print, clay paw print, and an urn was all less than $500.

However, a vet up the street quoted about $800 for a similar package and service.

So please, call around for price quotes and how they handle euthanasia right now.

I can’t do it tonight, but tomorrow I will look for potential resources in your area. You can also try posting on the SOS forum here and ask if people would pledge to donate by calling into the clinic.

Most municipal shelters will also euthanize, and for a much lower cost. You might ask what their procedure is, though, like whether you’ll be allowed to be present or not.

Find something online regarding the rules about disability that you can post that states you cannot do fundraisers over x amount if that’s what it takes for them to believe you.

Any clinic can do financial aid (not all do, but technically they can), but this is different from a low cost vet. In your case, either one will do.

Like I said, ask the feral and stray Facebook group and the rescues in your area for low cost vets. Someone in your local rescue community knows of a low cost clinic, a clinic with financial aid, or a vet that cuts breaks and/or works with people in need on payments.

Just to cover the basss here, check out these resources too to see if there’s anything you missed -

76430DC7-4819-4EBF-81E5-AEA7ACD1ADC3.jpeg