My cat is grooming my Dog

ladybug6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have taken to grooming my dogs. We have 2 miniature schnauzers and my two cats will clean their ears and beards. They dogs don't seem to mind, but is it harmful to my kitties?? I have noticed that their hairballs have gotten more frequent and "thicker" since they have been grooming my doggies.

What should I do??

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're worried about hairballs you can always get different treatments for them. As for it being harmful to your kits, I'd say no, not unless your dogs have been eating something that wouldn't agree with your cats. If you don't want them to keep grooming them, you can always remove them from the situation when they start licking. If you say no firmly each time, after a while they should understand that they shoudn't do that.

Someone else might come along with more helpful information/idea - these are just my thoughts

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't see any harm with it. My dogs lick my cats and my cats lick my dogs all the time and everyone is still healthy.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuart does that to Thor!!! They are so weird!

I wouldn't see any harm in it, but I'm no expert. We'll have to see what others have to say!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's very sweet, they must get along well!
if you're worried about the amount of hair your kitties are licking up, you might comb out the beards yourself to get rid of some of it.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens all the time at my place, no hairballs though. You might want to look into treating the hairballs, for instance, olive oil, butter, etc.

It can be harmful to your cats if you treat your dogs with chemicals, for instance, Frontline for fleas and ticks or Tea Tree Oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladybug6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

It can be harmful to your cats if you treat your dogs with chemicals, for instance, Frontline for fleas and ticks or Tea Tree Oil.
I never thought of that!! We were just getting ready to treat the dogs now that they are outside more often!!

Our dogs don't "shead" But we have been trying to comb them more often and now the cats don't seem to be having hairball problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would discourage your cat from licking the dogs if the dogs have recently been treated with Frontline or similar products... There is also one product which is very dangerous for cats, K9 Advantix, and I would NOT use that on dogs if you have cats in the house at all!

As far as anything else, it should not be harmful for the cat. A friend's cat likes to groom my Golden Retriever. It's really cute when they're together, they love to play and groom each other. We call them boyfriend and girlfriend.