My Cat Is Gay And He Mothers The Kitten

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to google "gay animals". Watching some videos might be helpful since you seem a bit confused by what is involved...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Googled gay animals gay cats etc . I'm not confused about him . My neighbours are taking issue with it because they don't think homosexual behaviour is appropriate or acceptable in certain religions.
To clarify I am not religious and not homophobic.
I just wondered if anyone else had gay pets and how they handled the angry masses.
I didn't post here to offend anyone .
His behaviour is fine . He's nice and pleasent, as I mentioned looks after the kitten . And yes he has had the op done

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four cats. I treat them like they are my children. I cuddle them and have to say I am motherly to them. Motherly in that I am warm, caring, nurturing, protective and loving. I am a man and that does not make me gay. I have no problem with gay people but as a happily, heterosexually, married man I am far from being gay. I think the proper term would be "caring". If the cat is caring for the kitten I don't think that makes him gay.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I would define a gay animal as one that participates in sexual or mating behavior with the same sex. So I would agree with Shane Kent Shane Kent that this could be simple caring and affection depending on what actions are taken. It’s very common for cats that live together and are friends to groom/lick each other, wrestle and play and nap together. This can be cats of the same gender, or even brothers and sisters. It’s more like their version of a hug than anything sexual. We have two boy cats that groom each other and sleep/cuddle with each other. They aren’t gay, they are friends.

Are you talking about mutual grooming and other affectionate behaviors?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect you mean that the male cat is allowing nursing behavior? That is a bit weird I'll grant, but its not actually all that rare. Its not homosexual behavior -- its not sexual at all actually. No different from you letting the cat suck on your finger. Well, ok, it seems different to humans because we have these nipple taboos, but to the cat it is no different.

As a neutered male, he doesn't have hormones going. This is just him being nice, taking care of the little ones, letting them take comfort in him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you assume he is being "gay" and not just that he is being "fatherly" toward the kitten? It isn't abnormal behavior.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I might be tempted to tell my neighbors that, although SOME religions don't find being gay acceptable or appropriate, cat religions do not have a problem with it at all, and in fact, encourage it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is that this is a male cat allowing the kittens to suckle. Even though we know there is nothing sexual about that, its something that does happen sometimes, have to admit it is a little weird, and I can sort of understand how some people not in the know might be confused about it being some kind of weird sexual thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A ArtNJ - get your point. But, what is going on with the neighbors? They must be more confused than the OP.

Males do nurture (all species, OK - some more than others, and most not all the time [sorry for that - maybe :lolup:]). So...well, I don't know. Still trying to figure out why the OP thinks the neighbors think what they do...

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is big grumpy mean tough-guy feral "Dwight" back in his Tomcat days (before he was nuetered). In this video Dwight is showing affection for one of his kittens. In fact, several of our feral colony males "cared for" Dwight's kittens when they were young. They would shepard the kittens about, groom them, play with them and let them eat first. Hmmm..maybe we have a feral gay colony! :lol:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one male cat that let one of the orphaned itty bitty 2 week old kitten nurse off of him! He mothered both kittens. He groomed them, stuck by them, taught them how to hunt and loved them endlessly. He was the reason that one kitten survived because she was failing to thrive before I let the kitten nurse off him the first time (after that he did everything willingly and adopted the kittens.) Now that I know more about cats nursing off of each other I wonder if he wound up producing milk for the kitten (they can and will produce milk regardless of their gender if they are nursed on enough.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is so cute . Hey I love my gat cat I don't mind if he wants male cat lovers ,just sad we won't have kittens ....he's a cute boy