My Cat Is Eating Our Kittens Food

KateyKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We brought a lovely new 8 month old kitten into our family about a month ago. We have a 2 year old girl already. We did a 3 week introduction (separated with sanctuary room etc.) and everything has gone perfectly, except one thing. Our cat loves the kittens food. Their food is in separate rooms, but I still find my older girl eating it. She waits for the kitten to eat she isn’t bullying her at feeding time and I have made sure the kitten is eating by shutting the door for awhile so the other can’t get to it. I’m not free feeding. But my older cat just won’t eat her adult food. My question is should I just feed both kitten food until our kitten is an adult in about 3 months?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would find a food labelled for all life stages. The kitten food isn’t horrible for adults but it may be too high in fat than what is preferred. There are a lot of foods on the market labelled for “all life stages.”

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KateyKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would find a food labelled for all life stages. The kitten food isn’t horrible for adults but it may be too high in fat than what is preferred. There are a lot of foods on the market labelled for “all life stages.”
That makes sense. I just don’t want to undernourish my kitten as she’s still small for her age. And I can amp up the physical enrichment for my 2 year old to help with the added fat and carbs. Thank you for your help! ^¥^

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense. I just don’t want to undernourish my kitten as she’s still small for her age. And I can amp up the physical enrichment for my 2 year old to help with the added fat and carbs. Thank you for your help! ^¥^
An all life stages food won’t under nourish your kitten. Kittens don’t need a special diet, they just need twice as much food as adults. All cats, whether adult or kitten, needs a high meat-based protein diet, moderate fat, and low carbs.