My cat is digging and want to go outside

Nancymaddo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see this page is in English so I will do my best to be understood 😄
My parents had a cat but when they divorced a couple of weeks ago I took the cat. In the house she had a big house and a garden with net that she could enter whenever she wanted to. I only have a little apartment and the only way she can go outside is with a leash.
And she loves the leash, she walks just like a dog and is really happy.
But the minute we get inside she wants to go out again. Even if we're running and playing at the same time for hours. She's actually old but has the energy like a kitten.
So she's digging near the door and actually is throwing my cables around. And she's meowing.
I have tried to ignore her but she keeps going, I have tried telling her, pushed her away, but she keeps going.
I know she's doing this because of the bigger place in the house but what can I do?
She's gonna move to my dad later, she's gonna be here for now, but he only has a little bigger apartment. But he has a cat so we we're thinking some company could help her. And dads cat is really calm so maybe he's gonna make her calm.
But what can we try?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nancymaddo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When she wants to go outside,play with her. Any distraction. I have a tall cat tower by my porch window. My cats like to jump on it and watch the wild birds. I have lots of bird feeders
Thank you I will try that. I have a window she use to sit in and look outside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Nancymaddo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Get her used to being inside, as it seems that will be her future. Below are links to some TCS articles that might help. The latter two are more related to when she is moved to your dad's place.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
I'm already doing all this. But we can still walk her with a leash. Cuz she loves that. Or should we stop that too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm already doing all this. But we can still walk her with a leash. Cuz she loves that. Or should we stop that too.
It is only speculation on my part, but as long as she has access outside, I don't see her ever stopping her digging behavior and desire to go outside. But, you have to decide what is best for her. You might to think about setting up a reward system - such as distractions to get her to stop and then giving her a treat when she does stop. Eventually, she could learn that if she isn't digging to get outside, she gets a reward instead.

Nancymaddo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is only speculation on my part, but as long as she has access outside, I don't see her ever stopping her digging behavior and desire to go outside. But, you have to decide what is best for her. You might to think about setting up a reward system - such as distractions to get her to stop and then giving her a treat when she does stop. Eventually, she could learn that if she isn't digging to get outside, she gets a reward instead.
I actually went out today and got some leaves and sticks and played with her with those. And I opened all the window so she got a lot of oxygen. And she did some digging put much less. And we haven't been outside today and she's sleeping. So I'm thinking she needs to be an indoors cat and we can make some grass or something inside. Take the outdoors to her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is uprooted and in a new house, there are bound to be some problems. It takes a cat months to settle in. she will eventually get used to a new routine. Taking her to a new place with a strange cat would be a big chore. they take months to get used to each other, they would eventually but it takes work. Separation at first.

Nancymaddo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is uprooted and in a new house, there are bound to be some problems. It takes a cat months to settle in. she will eventually get used to a new routine. Taking her to a new place with a strange cat would be a big chore. they take months to get used to each other, they would eventually but it takes work. Separation at first.
I know that and I asked what I could do to help. I have had cats my whole life. I know how long things take. But I figured it out with another comment so.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe if you take her out on the leash at approx. the same time every day it will become her routine and she would look forward to it. She may get to know she will get to go out and that will cause less digging. There are screened boxes you can build out your window too, to give her a little outside.