MY CAT IS COMPLETELY SHAVED!

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys, I went to take Blu to get shaved because he had a terrible flea infestation and some fungal infection. The vet suggested the shaving and then he gave me a couple of medecation and frontline spray. However, I did NOT now that he was going to even get his freaking FACE shaved! I was so surprised by how it looks I was going to cry. Blu's hair was freaking majestic and fluffy :(

Anyways, how long do you guys think it would take for his hair to grow back? I want my fluffy boy back :(

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor kitty!  I wonder if this shaving is part of the treatment for his condition?  Are ointments also prescribed?  It might take months for it to grow back as long as it was.  I think he might need a sweater to keep him warm till then.  Or if that's contraindicated then certainly a warmer house temp.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to laugh but the idea of it is just too much! Yeah, they usually don't shave their faces and tails. Did he have any fungal infection on his face? Maybe they had to shave everything. Poor guy. It'll take a long time for his fur to get as long as it used to be but he should look OK in a month or so.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Cat fur grows at different rates. When my shorthair cat had a patch of fur shaved for surgery it took about 4 months for it to grow back completely. I don't know how long it would take for a longhair cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I guess I do have a Sphynx now LOL. He's a bit drowsy right now but was chasing a fly a couple of minutes ago. I just really hope he grows it back quickly, the guy had amazing fur. Darn those fleas and fungus :(

Last edited by a moderator:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience it takes several months for the hair to grow back to its original length. Long haired kitties seem to take longer.

How close did they shave him?

My Max (Maine coo mix) had to have an abdominal ultrasound 2 Decembers ago and had his stomach and sides shaved completely down. He basically had a kitty Mohawk. I was prepared for the belly to be shaved, but NOT the sides...[emoji]128553[/emoji] It took about 4-5 months for his hair to fully regrow.

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww poor baby :( well, Blu's got a buzz cut, so you can't really SEE the skin but still..

Man, I hope it does completely grow out in that amount of time, especially his poor face! I honestly don't mind his body and much as his face. He's all eyes and ears now hahaha!

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Your wish is granted, haha.

Here he is sleeping like a little bald angel. This is pretty funny, he might not look as majestic but his personality drastically changed! He became so much more affectionate, less meowy, less aggressive and overall so much more happy!!! He actually can take a full nap without having to wake up every minute to stcratch himself!

I'm so glad he's feeling well :)

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes and I let him wear that shirt now even though he hates it, but it keeps him from licking his fungal spray LOL, and it keeps him somewhat covered.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor kitty!  I wonder if he hopes to wake up and all his lovely fur will be back?  He looks like a siamese now.  Does he act like he knows his fur is missing?

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw, if only wishes came true.

I think he's just more aware of his tail now, he's been mesmerised looking at it and chasing it quiet a bit haha. Other than that he's been doing really well :)

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think he looks weird (except for the tail 
) but I honestly thought he was a Siamese until I saw your profile pic. I was like, "Oh they didn't cut it that short!" He's rocking that shave!

narelle

Lover of Cats and Catfish
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's interesting that you noticed a difference in your Blu's personality after being shaved. I noticed the same thing when one of my cats got shaved! Though her cut was more typical, with her tail and legs left fluffy and just a trim around her head to even it out. She got a lot friendlier and happier in general. She had issues with mats with the long fur that she wouldn't let anyone touch and I think it made her miserable.

She did grow it all back faster than we expected and is back to a little fluffball now. But it didn't grow back quite the same. Softer, not as thick, and it doesn't get greasy or matted anymore. I don't think its as long as before either. But the mood inprovements stuck around, which is good. We'll be shaving her again when it starts to warm up.

lemiman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah he's so much less fidgitiy and anxious. He's totally gotten used to his shaved self now! I'm glad your cat is alot happier too, mats really do suck!