My cat is changing color?

Kenna.baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Raven is a bit over a year old now. We know shes a mix. Her mama was a beautiful dilute tortoiseshell and her dad was white with black patches who was a stray. She is all black with white feet and chest and she has a line of white that goes from the bridge of her nose aaallll the way down her belly and shes got pretty yellowish green eyes.
Recently shes been getting these shockingly bright patches of reddish brown fur. And its not just when shes in the sun and the undertones of the fur is brown, i mean like her actual fur has turned a bright brown on both sides of her long cheek "mane" fur, patches on her forearms, and i think even on her side. Its pretty crazy.
Im curious if shes going to keep changing and maybe get some tortie from her mom showing up or if its just because shes outside and gettin a tan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenna.baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She might be getting a tan :) Black cats can "rust" and turn brown in spots. I'd love to see some pictures of her!
I will definitely try and get some good pics of her tomorrow morning. I have another black and white cat named Jack. Hes about 6 or 7 and he absolutely loves sunbathing but he has never gotten anything like this, so thats why im curious.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you K Kenna.baby for asking this question, and lutece lutece for answering! My tortie who is mainly black has been getting the same thing you’re describing. I was curious as to what it was. Thanks!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an orange female whose supposed mother was a tortie ("mom" was a neighborhood feral). As my cat got older, about half her whiskers turned black and a dusting of black hairs have appeared on her muzzle, giving the appearance of having a dirty face. Yes, their fur color can change somewhat as they mature.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats can appear more brown due to the sunlight. When cats who have black coloring sun bathe it can slowly turn the black coloring brown as well. My brown tabby Jethro is the same, he has a black cape but in the summer it gets to be brown because of the sunbathing.