My Cat Is An Excessive Litter Box Digger And Often Gets Poop Paws. I'm Tired Of It!

ssan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old cat digs a lot after he's done his business, particularly #2's. He will dig and successfully cover up his poop, but that never seems to be enough for him. He goes the extra mile. He seemingly has to dig and cover it from all angles. He'll sometimes - most times - finish digging and leave his box. Then minutes later, come back, sniffs around and digs some more. He'll go back at least 2-3 times almost every time he poops. Which I probably wouldn't mind as much if he wasn't prone to stepping on his poop!! It's gotten to a point where I have to watch him dig to make sure he isn't stepping on anything and to make sure he isn't going back to dig some more. Luckily I work from home but I don't feel like I should have to be doing this.

Before people chime in with their solutions, let me make a few things clear:
- I clean his box every day, once a day at about the same time. He has managed to step on his poop after going even right after I've cleaned it. So, I don't think this is the solution. Besides, I'm not about to clean his box after every single time he poops.
-He only has one box. I live in a small apartment and don't have the luxury of space for a 2nd box.
-His poops are on the stinkier side and I'm guessing it's possible he is trying to cover up the smell. I've done my research on different foods that would help with this and they're pretty similar to the one I already feed him. Though, I haven't actually tried a different food.
-His box is of standard size and I don't believe my cat is large enough (10-12lbs) to warrant a bigger box. But I am considering it.
-His "dig" sessions usually last a minute or two which isn't the worst considering I've read stories of cats that dig for hours. What's excessive and annoying about it is the amount of times he feels the need to go back and dig some more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How deep is the litter? Maybe deeper would be better? He is probably smelling it and it is bugging him, but I don't know if deeper litter is the answer. Could be necessary to try changing to another kind of litter - but, tbh, that really would require a second box so that he has a choice in case he doesn't like the 'test' litter.

After all that, maybe the food is the problem and is smellier than it should be? Perhaps let everyone here know what he is eating and they might be able to tell you if they have a similar experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ssan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How deep is the litter? Maybe deeper would be better? He is probably smelling it and it is bugging him, but I don't know if deeper litter is the answer. Could be necessary to try changing to another kind of litter - but, tbh, that really would require a second box so that he has a choice in case he doesn't like the 'test' litter.

After all that, maybe the food is the problem and is smellier than it should be? Perhaps let everyone here know what he is eating and they might be able to tell you if they have a similar experience.
Yes, that's a good point about a deeper litter box. I have tried a few different litters before and get the same behavior. So, it may be down to the stinkiness. He eats NutriSource Cat and Kitten Chicken and Rice dry cat food. I'll add this info to the post too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not just deeper litter box - but that's a good idea! Even the depth of the litter itself.

I don't have experience with those foods, but hopefully some of the other members do and will respond soon about that!!

You know, he could just be one of those cats who is obsessed with covering his litter contributions. I know you don't want to hear that... :wink:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yeah - and, get a big washable rug to lay around/in front of the litter box. There are ones specifically to help 'catch' litter off of a cat's foot - it might also help get the poop off as well (at least a little anyway).

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First you are lucky he likes to bury his poop. Think about what it would be like if he didn't. since he's a big boy, give him 4-6 inches of litter over the entire box. When I had a large box I just dumped the entire 25 lb bag of non-clumping litter in. Scooped twice a day and changed it completely every week.

Now that I have one cat and a smaller box I dump the entire 18 lb bag of clumping litter in. Scoop once a day. Add more litter - 2 cups - every other day. my cat buries but she's not that excited about it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sorry it's a "stinky" situation that brought you here. :cringe:

-His poops are on the stinkier side and I'm guessing it's possible he is trying to cover up the smell.
Is his poop normal formed? Tootsie-roll like? Or softer, diarrhea like, or cow patty like?

And what kind of litter do you use? Clumping litter usually covers well and limits the smell.

Since you're home, have you ever tried tipping the litter box so the litter covers his poop? Would that satisfy his obsession with covering it?

Besides, I'm not about to clean his box after every single time he poops.
How often does he poop a day? If it's only once, or even twice, and I was you, that's exactly what I would do. I would just stop what I was doing, "scoop the poop" and solve the issue for both of you.

Cats and Bees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one fellow that does the same. I also work at home and when I hear him in there digging to China, I stop what I'm doing and go scoop it. Either that or have your house covered in poop. o_O

I have several size boxes - high sides, low sides and I have different depths of litter in each. He doesn't seem to have a preference other than to cover, go back and cover it some more.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe he wouldn't be so inclined to cover forever if his poop wasn't as stinky. From my experience, dry food (especially carb heavy dry foods with rice or corn) produce the worst smelling poop. Mostly because cats can't digest grains/carbs, so it all comes out the other end. Wet food is better than dry, and raw foods results in small odorless poop. Maybe give wet food a try?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe he wouldn't be so inclined to cover forever if his poop wasn't as stinky. From my experience, dry food (especially carb heavy dry foods with rice or corn) produce the worst smelling poop. Mostly because cats can't digest grains/carbs, so it all comes out the other end. Wet food is better than dry, and raw foods results in small odorless poop. Maybe give wet food a try?
And it doesn't have to be all wet food, if cost is a concern. Upping wet food intake in any amount would probably make a difference.