My Cat Is Always Scared And Run Away

Nipanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, this is my 2nd thread, kinda new here and love the community, a lot of nice and friendly people.
Me and my fiancee are new cat owners and we rescued an 8 month cat. We took her home and gave her all the basic stuff she need. At first she kwpt on hiding under the bed, then a few weeks latwr we can pet her when she just lay somewhere. When ever we crossed paths she still avoided us or just run away. Its been a month now amd hopefully its normal and eventually she can be more socialize. If you guys have any good tip, we are more than glad to hear from you. Thanks

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing her! First, has she been to the vet for a full check up?

How big is your house?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know what her life was like before you got her?

It can take a while for cats to fully adjust to a new situation. Depending on her background, a month may not be enough time for her to feel safe. Out of my three cats, Link would already be settled, Fury would be just settling and Rocket.... well you wouldn't even see her. I have had Rocket for 2 years and she is still skittish at sudden moves and sounds. The only time she is truly relaxed and doesn't startle is sleeping in my bedroom or with her brothers in my parents rooms. My Dad still can't pet her after living with her for 2 years and he has never done anything to upset her and is careful when it comes to her.

Give her time.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope she is spayed, and you're keeping her inside?

If you can pet her now and then at one month, you're doing fine! I rescued an 8 month old 4 months ago, and it was a month before I could even touch her. What did the trick, at the advice of the great folks here, was to get down at her level by sitting on the floor, and offer her healthy treats in an open hand flat on the floor. From there she progressed rapidly, and now is a happy healthy house cat, very playful and affectionate. Rani's story is here, if you'd like details: Need some new advice with new cat.

Our situations seem quite similar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nipanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for the advice. We will be patient with her. She had her shots and already spayed. The shelter told us that she has been rescued while wondering somewhere. Hehehehe i tried to pick her up, now she is hiding now. Every night me and my fiancee look at cat advice videos hahahaha having her is challenge but we love every minute of it. Will update you guys. Thank you so much.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Picking up my girl is an automatic trip to the land of bad humans, lol. I would hold off on the holding until she is a little more comfortable with your home. Holding is a more of a trust exercise and loss of control on the cats side of things. My girl absolutely hates being held for any reason and cries bloody murder every time. My boy, tolerates it if I hold him but bites anyone else who tries. Hopefully your girl will come around that holding isn't bad eventually.

If she was found on the streets she likely was lost or abandoned. Her standoffish behavior lends itself towards abandoned more but who knows. But that she was social enough to adopt means she has some human experience. So you have that on your side.

Lots of loving, yummy foods and play time will have her bonding with you soon.