My cat is acting unusual, please help

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
So on Friday evening Skye all of a sudden started to run with her mouth open, she didn't let me pick her up. On Saturday she started to run, walk fast and sit in places that she didn't usual sit, like trying to hide. This morning she was in my room ( walking closet) sitting behind the shoe boxes so I sat beside her, pet her for a little but she went under the clothes. She didn't eat her food last night ( wet and dry) usually she sleeps in my room and comes downstairs as soon as I come down and waits for me to play with her and give her wet food. It looks like she is scared or stressed. Nothing has changed in the home environment, no new food introduced either, immunizations are up to date. She doesn't open her mouth anymore. Whe she runs like that she liks herlself fast, she has been treated for fleas and been checked too, she's indoor and only pet.

I'm worried, I don't know to do to help her. The vet doesn't open until tomorrow ( Monday)

Thank you all for your help!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like there is likely an underlying health issue. I think a trip to the vet ASAP is the best thing to do at this point.

How are her teeth?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This morning she was in my room ( walking closet) sitting behind the shoe boxes so I sat beside her, pet her for a little but she went under the clothes. She didn't eat her food last night
Did she eat her food this morning? If she's hiding and not eating then it sounds like a health problem. Even though your vet does not open until Monday can you call an Emergency Vet? If she is not eating please refer to this helpful Article:
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – Cat Articles

Here is an Article that discusses whether your cat may be in pain: 35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain – Cat Articles
Best of luck, please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I would also at this point go to the emergency vet, based on what you have described.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like there is likely an underlying health issue. I think a trip to the vet ASAP is the best thing to do at this point.

How are her teeth?
Her teeth are fine,
Thank you for your reply.
I will be calling around to find a vet office around that's open

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Keep us updated. :vibes::vibes:

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are her bathroom habits? Has she pooped and peed? What did they look like? When was the last time she went (both)?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are her bathroom habits? Has she pooped and peed? What did they look like? When was the last time she went (both)?
She peed 3 times yesterday and pooped once, wich it's normal for her. They looked normal.
She hasn't gone today, she's still hiding in my room

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She peed 3 times yesterday and pooped once, wich it's normal for her. They looked normal.
I'm calling around to find a vet that can take her in

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, that's good. I was just making sure that she was not blocked, which is a definite "right now" emergency.
Perhaps put a litter box, her food and water in your room for today until you find a vet appointment. Whatever is going on, you want to make her environment as stress free as possible, so if she really doesn't want to come out of your room, it would be good to have all her amenities near her so she will continue to use her litter box and hopefully eat and drink.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, that's good. I was just making sure that she was not blocked, which is a definite "right now" emergency.
Perhaps put a litter box, her food and water in your room for today until you find a vet appointment. Whatever is going on, you want to make her environment as stress free as possible, so if she really doesn't want to come out of your room, it would be good to have all her amenities near her so she will continue to use her litter box and hopefully eat and drink.
I spoke to a vet office, I explained to them her situation. They told me to monitor her until tomorrow, I took some food for her ( in my room) and she ate it. She actually came out to eat. So I'm hoping that it's just that she was nervous... I Will DEFINITELY take her to her vet tomorrow morning.
I will plug a feliway in my room too and bring her litter box and food up too.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have been really stressed by something she saw out the window or heard. if she acts a little more normal in yoru room, continue to soothe her and feed/water her in there. My cats can take over 24 hours to return to normal when we get company, they act just like that

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She may have been really stressed by something she saw out the window or heard. if she acts a little more normal in yoru room, continue to soothe her and feed/water her in there. My cats can take over 24 hours to return to normal when we get company, they act just like that
Thank you!
I think that's what's happening

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Is she staying really low to the ground when she runs? That would be an indication that there may be a threat to her territory close by.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to talk to a vet. Keeping her comfortable and less stressed I'm sure will help.
One thing I want to add, that also points to this being an outside "thing" that she smelled and scared her, is that sometimes when a cat really wants to smell something, they will open their mouth to smell it better. That could be what you saw when she ran around with her mouth open, considering she is no longer doing it and (I assume) her breathing is normal.
But (and I know you will anyway... :thumbsup: ) I would still take her in to the vet. I) just in case this is medical, and 2) stress can bring about health issues, like cystitis, which can be serious.
Let us know how she does.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to talk to a vet. Keeping her comfortable and less stressed I'm sure will help.
One thing I want to add, that also points to this being an outside "thing" that she smelled and scared her, is that sometimes when a cat really wants to smell something, they will open their mouth to smell it better. That could be what you saw when she ran around with her mouth open, considering she is no longer doing it and (I assume) her breathing is normal.
But (and I know you will anyway... :thumbsup: ) I would still take her in to the vet. I) just in case this is medical, and 2) stress can bring about health issues, like cystitis, which can be serious.
Let us know how she does.
I am planning on taking her in tomatoes. I got her to eat some wet food. Not that you mentioned cystitis, she's actually had it in the summer ( stress Cistitys) I was away for 6 weeks and she stayed home with my husband, when I came back home, shortly after she started to use the litter box not normally so I emidietly took her to the vet, they did urine test ( was normal) so she got diagnosed with stress Cistitys. She was put on medication but unfortunately didn't go well so we had to get her off it. She was put on a prescription dry food ( she eats mostly wet) and it helped plus the wet food plus drinking more water. I can't cut her off completely off dry food... I'm really hoping it's just something that scared her and not a health issue. She doesn't warn up to people quickly, she likes to keep to herself. I think she is one of those kitties that get nervous quickly to the point that she tries to get my attention when she wants to eat so I have to sit beside her.
I just went in my room to give her more food, she came out to eat and went back under the clothes.

Thank you so very much for your help

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she staying really low to the ground when she runs? That would be an indication that there may be a threat to her territory close by.
Not too low but yes, lower than usual.
She's been in my room the whole day, I brought a litter box, food and water in my room. I put it all in my walking closet where she is. She came out to use the litter box (pee) went back underneath the clothes again then I brought her more wet food she came out to eat and went back. I think something in the main floor is scaring her but I can't figure out what. I even plugged the feliway diffuser in my bedroom too.

• Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning on taking her in tomatoes.
I'm glad you'll be taking her in "Tomatoes" LOL! :lol: That will make a nice squishy bed for her. Although it get a bit messy!
Sorry....I couldn't help myself.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you'll be taking her in "Tomatoes" LOL! :lol: That will make a nice squishy bed for her. Although it get a bit messy!
Sorry....I couldn't help myself.
😂😂😂😂 sorry, I ment "Tomorrow "
My phone autocorrect 😂😂