My Cat Is Acting Funny....help!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple of days ago, before I got up, I heard Pumpkin meowing like crazy and scratching at our front door, wanting to be let out. He's been doing this since before I adopted him. I've been trying to change him into an indoor kitty for nearly five years now.

He has chronic tummy issues, for which he's on lactulose and laxatone.

Not long after he was scratching at the door, I heard him throw up near my bed. I found it was a mixture of water and litter. He has a tendency to munch on litter for reasons I don't understand. One of my friends told me cats do this when they're stressed.

A few years ago, during a checkup, the vet found litter in his stool, not just on the outside of it. So, that's why he's on non-clumping litter.

Anyway, he's now keeping his distance from me and his box. Yesterday morning at about 2:30, I woke up to find he was still in his hiding spot in the livingroom. So I picked him up and put him in his box. He got out, stared at it, got back in and peed. He didn't act like he was having trouble going, nor was he in any pain.

A couple of hours later he pooped.

A couple of hours after that I got up and scooped his box, washed his dishes and refilled them and gave him his medicine. Then he went to his fountain and kept drinking and drinking.....I thought he was going to drink the whole thing up, he was there for so long.

He's not touching his dry food, but he loves his treats still. I thought maybe he was bored with what I've been feeding him so I got him something new today (Pure Balance, Chicken and Sweet Potato formula) and he loves it. Ate it right up.

He's still hanging out in his spot in the livingroom. I repeated what I did last night with his box but he wouldn't touch it. Pumpkin then tried to jump in the tub but didn't make it. There wasn't much room for him to do this as my hamper was taking up much of the room near the tub. He was hanging one of his hind legs up like it was hurting him but a minute later he tried jumping on my bed, which is considerably taller. He didn't make it only because my legs were in the way. I wasn't expecting him to get into bed with me at that point.

I moved his box into the livingroom and tried to get him to use it but he ran from me and jumped into the window. So at least he's able to jump and move around good.

Rubbing his tummy doesn't elicit any protests from him, so he's not hurting. At least I don't think so.

What's going on with my kitty? The vet thinks he's about seven or eight years old.

The only thing I'm guessing, given that he's able to urinate, defecate, eat, drink and run is that this is stress related. I've been going through alot of horrible things I won't get into here that has nothing whatsoever to do with my cat. Could my stress be having a negative impact on him?

I wish I knew what was going on. I'm going to take him to the vet if this keeps up...hopefully will get him in tomorrow morning but I am scared something is wrong. I don't want to lose him.

I'm going through alot right now....can't possibly take the thought of losing him too. Help!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all, yes please do go to the vet. The excessive drinking is usually a sign of disease, but doesn't have to be. Either way, it would be a relief for the both of you to get it checked out.

And second it's good that you mentioned that you're stressed. It does sound like the issue is, partially, caused by anxiety. I often go through this with my anxiety where I project my stress onto my cat. Taking that into consideration it is still smart to pay the vet a visit, this will give you peace of mind as his human too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all, yes please do go to the vet. The excessive drinking is usually a sign of disease, but doesn't have to be. Either way, it would be a relief for the both of you to get it checked out.

And second it's good that you mentioned that you're stressed. It does sound like the issue is, partially, caused by anxiety. I often go through this with my anxiety where I project my stress onto my cat. Taking that into consideration it is still smart to pay the vet a visit, this will give you peace of mind as his human too.
I just got up...haven't slept well since this happened. I went to the livingroom and found him on a pile of his blankets just hanging out. He didn't eat since yesterday. And hasn't used his box. I held him for awhile, then put him in his box. Pumpkin then got out of it and ran for the window. There he sits.

I'm going to run him to the vets. I wish I knew what was causing this. Now I'm wondering if it's possible it's a medical problem in addition to anxiety.

He let me hold him.....was purring....and he even gave me kisses. Didn't act sick except when he ran out of his box.

I hope the vet won't find something bad enough that he'll want to put him down. I just can't do that. No way.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add I woke up about an hour ago to hear Pumpkin use his litterbox. He peed w/o any problems....didn't sound like he was in discomfort at all...so I'm not sure what's going on. I fed him treats about an hour or so before that, which he gobbled right up. Anyway, I'm waiting for his vet to call me back.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet just called and we went over everything....she thinks it could be stress related and suggested I add another litterbox with a different type litter like "yesterday's news." I think the local Walmart carries it. If his weird behavior continues anyway she wants me to bring him in, but she said try this first. She said it could be that he's feeling the stress I've been under lately, or he just doesn't like it when I hover nearby to make sure he's going potty. The vet suggested I put his extra litterbox in another part of the house where it's quiet.

I guess I've been doing that alot....I'm a worry-wart and want to make sure he's ok. For now Pumpkin is napping and seems ok.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is still not acting his usual self, so I made arrangements to take him to the vet tomorrow. My next door neighbor, who adores Pumpkin (and vice-versa) will give us a lift.

I got the other litterbox set up.....bought him a new toy (which he barely responded to, which isn't like him). He is visiting my neighbor as I write this and will return shortly. I hope he will notice his new box.

For the life of me I wish I knew what was going on. My neighbor thought they might do blood work....like for feline leukemia, diabetes, etc.

Does anyone here know what the symptoms are? Can that be treated?

I just don't want the vet to say to me he's really bad off and needs to be put down. I won't let them do that to him.

Please forgive me.....he's my little baby and I'm sooooo scared of losing him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone here know what the symptoms are? Can that be treated?
For diabetes? The symptoms are the same as in Humans: excessive urination and the urine smells very sugary (and the clumps are hard to cleanly scoop out from the box), excessive hunger, weight loss, diabetic neuropathy (hind leg weakness) can occur. Diabetes is diagnosed with a fructosamine test, similar to the AC1 test for Human diabetics. Diabetes is very managable if you are willing to learn about the disease and how to best manage your cat without going broke:agree: Diabetes is never cured, only regulated with a combination of a proper diet and insulin. Some cats can go into remission and no longer need insulin but will need the right diet. There is a great web site to learn more about diabetes in cats, Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB

Definitely have the vet do a complete blood work up on your cat. Senior cats tend to develop various health issues as they age. Around 8 years old is considered senior.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not diabetes. Being on a fixed income w/o adequate health insurance, I am having a very difficult time taking care of myself. If Pumpkin were to develop an illness that would be costly to treat, I don't know how I'd manage. I'm a diabetic myself and my sugar is out of control....not sure what will happen to me.

I'll do the best I can because he had it rough before I got him. I adopted Pumpkin nearly five years ago after he was abandoned in the town we used to live in. I risked being evicted because where we used to live, pets were not allowed. Some of our neighbors there were real jerks and complained to the manager, who told me he'd have to go.

When that happened, I showed a doctor's note proving that Pumpkin is my therapy pet, so they couldn't touch either one of us!

During Pumpkin's first vet appointment, they checked his teeth and said he was about 3-4 years old at the time. I could have sworn, judging by his small size, that he was no older than a year. So he's about 8-9 years old.

About a half hour ago I picked up Pumpkin and brought him to bed. He's sleeping now. He loves his treats and his new dry food I got yesterday. He peed once this morning. I don't think he pooped yet.

He just woke up as I'm writing this. He's washing his paw as though nothing's wrong.

I just don't get this. Sometimes he seems normal, like when he woke up and washed himself, and then sometimes he acts as though he's got little time left. I hope it's nothing serious. I am very scared of losing him.

I wasn't prepared to adopt him five years ago but didn't want him to freeze to death or get run over by a car. I've done my best to be a good Mommy to him, but at times like this I feel like a complete failure.

When I said all of this to my brother, I asked "where did I go wrong?" Want to know what he said? My brother told me I need to let him go.

I can't do that. I just can't.

I feel so angry with the Lord that he's allowing my baby to go through this. If I lose him I will NEVER get another pet again. He's a part of this family and if he dies, my heart will be broken.

What else can I do? I feel so helpless I could scream.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*If* is turns out to be diabetes, there is an organization that can help with some of the suppy costs (insulin, blood glucose test strips, etc, even vet bills): Diabetic Cats in Need

I had a diabetic cat in the past. My only costs were for insulin, insulin syringes, and blood glucose test strips. I needed to buy insulin every few months (I used an insulin pen, not the vial. This depends on whether you use a Human insuiln for your cat or a pet specific one. Pet ones only come in vials), insulin syringes maybe every other month unless I got free ones from another FDMB member or got a good deal from the online pharmacy, test strips every few months since I tended to buy several boxes at a time because I was :paranoid: about running out. Some months I didn't need to buy anything at all. I fed a commercial canned cat food, not the expensive prescription junk.

It's good that your cat is still eating and using the litter box :agree: Do you have a vet appointment scheduled or are you waiting to see if the bevhavior continues?

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The excessive thirst immediately brings to mind a kidney issue. But you said his urination is normal so that's odd. I would get his kidneys checked regardless and also possibly try an anti anxiety medication. These "episodes" may be panic attacks more than anything. It might calm him enough to not eat the litter.
Also our kitties are our babies and it's super hard to deal with a problem they may have cause they are so fragile and can't communicate verbally what's wrong. Never apologize for being concerned you are just being a good parent!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*If* is turns out to be diabetes, there is an organization that can help with some of the suppy costs (insulin, blood glucose test strips, etc, even vet bills): Diabetic Cats in Need

I had a diabetic cat in the past. My only costs were for insulin, insulin syringes, and blood glucose test strips. I needed to buy insulin every few months (I used an insulin pen, not the vial. This depends on whether you use a Human insuiln for your cat or a pet specific one. Pet ones only come in vials), insulin syringes maybe every other month unless I got free ones from another FDMB member or got a good deal from the online pharmacy, test strips every few months since I tended to buy several boxes at a time because I was :paranoid: about running out. Some months I didn't need to buy anything at all. I fed a commercial canned cat food, not the expensive prescription junk.

It's good that your cat is still eating and using the litter box :agree: Do you have a vet appointment scheduled or are you waiting to see if the bevhavior continues?
Pumpkin had his vet appointment this morning. He's doing much better and he had a total workup......lots of blood tests that all came out normal.

I'm a diabetic, and his blood sugar is much better than mine! :)

The vet recommended Royal Canin High Energy diet because his tummy is a bit tender....she wants him on a bland diet for the time being and suggested canned Pumpkin too. He tried that awhile back and he threw it up but she said it wouldn't hurt to give it another try. She suggested baby food (turkey or chicken or beef, for example), which I also picked up today.

He loved the sample of Royal Canin but I'll see how long that lasts. Pumpkin typically likes anything new the first time around. Last time I gave him Royal Canin (different kind) he liked it at first then turned his nose up at it. If he continues to eat this I'll order him some more.

So far he doesnt' like the baby food.

I'll try the canned pumpkin tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to pick up was Prevacid AC. She wants him to have 1/4 of a 10mg pill twice a day. I'll get it tomorrow.

I'm glad this turned out to be much better than I suspected. Poor baby had a long day. He snarled at the vet, her assistant, my friend who drove us and me while we were in the exam room. He's sleeping as I write this and I'm doing laundry.

Laundry seems like a treat after a day like this!

:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is NOTHING worse than a sick cat, unless it is a very young, pre-verbal child. Neither can tell you what hurts, and both just break your heart.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm hoping to get a Care Card, but only for dire emergencies that otherwise would end it euthanization due to lack of funds. Credit cards can get evil very quickly.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is a credit card that can be used exclusively for medical things, either human or vet.