My cat is a night time yowler, help!

Tiredcatdad404

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.

My cat is 13 years young and still
I live on the ground floor and have my own garden, but no cat flap.

As I work from home and it’s been quite hot I usually have the patio doors open in the day so she comes and goes as she pleases.

This past week or so she has started yowling at the closed patio doors when I call her in for the night (I live in a city and it’s too dangerous for her to be out at night). It is so loud when she does it, and she will do it for ages without taking a break and I’m starting to get headaches from it now!

She did/does sometimes make a similar noise but when she plays in the night and carries her toys around the apartment.

She also yowls at the patio doors if it’s raining and will sit there and cry even when I get up to open the door and she sees it’s raining so doesn’t want to go out.

I would say in general she is quite a vocal cat, more so now she’s older (especially when feeding) but this yowling is too much! I have tried doing a little research on what to do and not much works (except letting her sit in my seat on the sofa). I phoned the vets but they didn’t sound too concerned and said it’s probably just old age and forgetting the door is closed.

I’m really hoping another owner knows any tips or tricks on what to do and how to distract/get her to stop!

thanks so much! :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a TCS article with suggestions: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles

Since this is new behavior, one of the first things suggested is to take the cat to the vet but it sounds like your vet is not concerned. I'd still make an appointment and have the cat checked out and full blood work done if that hasn't been done in the past year. Senior cats can develop health issues and may act unusual because they don't feel well. Some seniors can get "kitty dementia" and be more vocal.

Meowing while carrying toys around is normal. It's a little annoying at night but you can just wear ear plugs to sleep.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

As the mama of a vocal cat, I know as cute as it is when they "talk to you", it can be get to be too much sometimes.

Your cat's meowing is probably just that she wants to go outside when you don't want her too. However, even though your vet doesn't seem concerned, I would keep a close eye on her other behaviour, for any sign that she isn't feeling well. Things like not eating normally, litter box accidents, etc.

Meanwhile, here's an excerpt from the TCS article Why Do Cats…? A Guide To Understanding Feline Behavior – TheCatSite Articles on meowing:

Why Do Cats Keep Meowing?
Most of the time, if your cat keeps meowing, it’s because she needs something. She may be hungry or thirsty, have a dirty litter box, or just want attention. Make sure she has food, fresh water, and a clean litter box. If she keeps meowing, play with her or give her lots of pats.​
Sometimes, it can be hard to know exactly what it is that a cat wants. However, cats rarely meow incessantly for no reason, so you should keep trying to figure out what yours wants if she doesn’t quiet down fairly quickly.​
If you really can’t figure out what your cat needs, it may be time for a trip to the vet. There could be something physically wrong with her that you can’t help her with. She may be uncomfortable or in pain and need medical intervention.​