my cat is a hunter...

motif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he brings very often mice and young birds to the house and "plays" with them
throwing around and jumping on causing my wife to scream and other mess.
How to tell him mice are OK but birds no? Today proudly he brought poor young sparrow still alive and not I'm not sure what to do, take him bird away
to the vet
or take both outside and let them do whatever they want to do.
it's nature I guess...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The way to tell him "no birds" is to keep him indoors, where he is safe from the diseases and parasites prey animals carry, as well as dogs, predators, other cats, cars, and cruel people.

Failing that, put a bell on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The way to tell him "no birds" is to keep him indoors, where he is safe from the diseases and parasites prey animals carry, as well as dogs, predators, other cats, cars, and cruel people.

Failing that, put a bell on him.
right, keep him in the cage, and even better stuff him to have less problems.
Where are you people come from?
buy a doll not a animal.

My cat have job to do, mice and other rodents can do a lot of damage to the house.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motif

buy a doll not a animal.

My cat have job to do, mice and other rodents can do a lot of damage to the house.
I think mrblanche means that it's safer for the cat if he does not hunt. Rodents and birds can carry disease and can transfer to your cat and make him sick or worse. Like mrblanche, I am concerned about that too. Also, too many dangers outside for cats.

I understand your cat's "job".. that's what they were bred and came to the US for long long ago, to be mousers on ships and such. But doesn't bringing the rodents and birds IN the house defeat the purpose if your cat's making a mess with them?

With your cat indoors, he can ensure the rodent stays OUT, and not be brought in, along with mites, parasites and disease the rodents/birds may carry.

Also, if he does bring in the prey, I'd take it away to keep your wife happy, and replace the animals with a toy.. try a feather wand or something.

good luck.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately cats will hunt what they'll hunt... I once saw one of my barn cats leap up from the ground to catch a baby bird as it was flying out of a tree in a low arc. I wasn't very pleased.
She was an excellent mouser, though. With cats like that you have to take the good with the bad.

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was once adopted by a stray (not allowed to have house cats there) and he brought home birds, mice, squirrels, and even rabbits. A hunting cat is a valuable thing to some. Never once did he bother my chicks, ducklings, or goslings.

But hunting cats bring their prey to their humans -- probably in an effort to teach your wife to hunt.

I know of no way to teach them to leave wild birds. My cat came with me and saw me taking care of the baby poultry, is my guess how he knew they were off-limits. I'd rather he have not brought me live screaming rabbits.

A bell on a break-away collar is the best way to warn birds, and it won't be a perfect solution. He'll probably still catch some.

My cats now are protected indoor pets. My barn is kept clear by the neighbor's unfortunate overbreeding feral colony, who do NOT respect my poultry. I understand both sides of the issue.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Birds don't really pay attention to bell noises. You'd need a significantly louder bell to have much effect.

I'm more concerned that the OP does not provide their cat with vet care on the premise that they do not believe in any medical care.
This cat isn't kept on a product like Revolution and consumes mammalian prey. Chances of the cat having roundworms from it's prey is very likely.

If the cat brought you a pest specie like a house sparrow don't really worry about saving the bird. It's harsh to say, but they don't belong in the US. (Neither do starlings)

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motif

buy a doll not a animal.

Well, I'm coming from a place where it's illegal to let your cat outside unless you are supervising it and it's on a leash. (Where did you get the cage idea? Mine live free in my house). However that doesn't apply in the very rural areas where the cats are keeping mice away from grain silos etc. They do not belong to this country's original wild life and they are killing the native species, that's why it's restricted.

When you let your cat outside on purpose, you should accept the problems it causes (parasites, cats killing all kinds of animals they are capable of, possible accidents, death, predators, diseases and cat overpopulation if you haven't fixed your cat).

(I know I shouldn't feed the troll but I'm bored..
)