My cat hates my husband

mscamillec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since having him neutered last november he seemed to start hissing at my husband for no reason. sometimes when my husband walks past him he may hiss and swipe. last night when i went to our room right at the door i noticed a poop smell, i thought it was coming from the bathroom. it wasn't it was in my room. didnt know where at this point. then i turned the covers down and low and behold there was poop on my husbands side of the bed only. why did he do this? is this his way of showing anger towards him?
thanks.
camille

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This very well may be a sign that your cat doesn't like your husband. Has he ever done anything to your cat, that your cat might not like? Make sure to scold your cat when he does bad things, but don't slap him. He won't get that, and will just think you're trying to be mean.

Hope this helps,
Eileen

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your husband ever do anything to your cat? That could be why.

Did your cat come from a place where he was abused by a man? Luna was horribly abused by her previous owners. She has a lot of problems when it comes to men. It took my father awhile, but he was able to work with her to show her he wouldn't hurt her. Now he's the only man she's ok with.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend's cat(male) was like that to her hubby.
When they moved in together, her kitty not only bit her hubby bad but also avoided/ignored him for nearly a year!

Her husband didn't do anything to the kitty, though.
Her kitty has been with her for more than a decade, then intruder(her hubby) came into "their" life. I guess the kitty didn't like that. Thought his "meowmy/girlfriend" is taken away by this intruder or something...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If DH is willing, the best thing to do is for him to become responsible for feeding her and cleaning her litter boxes. If he becomes her caregiver, she'll come around. In the meantime, he should do what he can to ignore her, unless she's interested in being engaged in play (with a wand toy).

It's also important to give her positive reinforcement when she's around him or near him and not doing anything mean or aggressive. Praise the heck out of her, and have him put a treat down for her.

Focus on the positive reinforcement for a few weeks (with him being caregiver). If she's still having issues, then when she swats or hisses at him, YOU should tell her "no" firmly, and try to redirect her with play (with a wand toy). If she redirects, praise the heck out of her.

I know it's hard - and it's hurtful to him. It's also hard to want to do all this wonderful stuff for her when she's being mean.... but if he's willing, it'll help in the long run, and that's the goal.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

This very well may be a sign that your cat doesn't like your husband. Has he ever done anything to your cat, that your cat might not like? Make sure to scold your cat when he does bad things, but don't slap him. He won't get that, and will just think you're trying to be mean.

Hope this helps,
Eileen
Please don't scold your cat for pooping outside of the litter box. The cat will not understand what he is being scolded for.

When a cat avoids the box there is a reason. Whether it's physical, emotional/psychological, or stress related, it's up to the humans to figure out the reason and solve the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mscamillec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didnt realize i had so many replies and thank you. Romeo wasnt abused by anyone as my friend gave him to me (i knew his family life)  his personality changed within months of being neutered. I have since gave him to another home as he was getting vicious towards me hissing spitting it was as he became someone else. the person who has him now allows him to go outdoors and he seems much happier. i never allowed him outside. thank you