My Cat Hates My Hermaphrodite Cat

TwinkleStarrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Smokey has been my only baby until Garfee came to my life. Smokey was with me since he was 3 months old and is pretty much a spoiled bratt as my family would say because of his cold and unaffectionate attitude towards them and other people.
When Smokey was almost 1 year old, my boyfriend gave me a smaller cat whom we named Garfee. Garfee came from the pet shop and was 11 months old then, on her record showed that she was sexed by the vet as female. I thought she will be a perfect companion for Smokey and so I was very happy to welcome her to our home and introduce her to Smokey.
Initially, Garfee was very anxious in her new environment and hid most of the time. I thought this was just normal considering that she just arrived, so I just let her be. Sooner Smokey and Garfee were able to adjust to each other and were even eating parallel to each other.
After some more months Smokey and Garfee began hissing at each other and Garfee being a smaller cat hid into spaces where Smokey can't reach her. There were times that I caught Smokey mounting on an angry Garfee and I thought maybe he was just trying to mate with her. These episodes become very messy as Garfee usually pees herself or when I'm too late to separate them, she poops on herself and scatters poops on the floor, wall and Smokey as she tries to fight him. However there are also many times when they are able to tolerate each other and sit side by side especially when they are chilling on the doorstep watching the outdoor.
My friends are really expecting Garfee to get pregnant but she has passed her teenage years and she didn't show signs of getting in heat. I was also curious with her behaviour and as I checked her genitalia, I was surprised because she has two big seemingly-like labia dangling like balls. I am still in denial and thought that maybe some female cats are born like that, or maybe it's because of her breed.
I was still bothered and tried to search for pictures of a hermaphrodite cat which I didn't find much online. Finally, I brought her to the vet to ask for an opinion. The vet physically examined her and confirmed that Garfee is both female and a male, a hermaphrodite in fact. My vet suggested to have Garfee castrated and explained that it maybe the reason for Smokey's agression towards her. I haven't really dealt with it because I wanted to know other options we can do for Garfee. Smokey on the other hand, got sick and we have to bring him to the vet several times and was later on hospitalized.
Now that Smokey's back home and recovering from his urinary problem, Garfee seemed to tease him and I'm worried that this is adding stress to Smokey. I am not very sure if it's the best for Garfee to be castrated. Garfee is a happy cat as he/she is. She/He is in fact more affectionate and friendly to her hoomans than Smokey and I don't want to bring her harm or pain if it's unneccesary.
Your suggestions to my previous query really helped a lot and I am hoping to know if you have ever encountered this case or maybe you can suggest what I can best do.
Thanks in advance.
PS.: I have attached photos for your opinion.
20190409_223901.jpg
20190409_223822.jpg
20190409_223901.jpg

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying or neutering won't change the personality of Garfee, and I would recommend you have her castrated, and spayed, too, if she has a uterus and ovaries. This should reduce the hostility from Smokey, and they will have a better chance of getting along together. Garfee will be just as loving and snuggly as ever.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would most certainly have Garfee both spayed and neutered. If anything it will make her an even happier cat, not to mention lowering the risk of certain cancers. If Smokey is also intact, I would get him neutered as well.
Cats are overall happier, healthier and get along better with others, when they have been spayed/neutered.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an extremely interesting setup Garfee has back there!

Anyway, yes, I'd have them both desexed (whatever form that requires for Garfee). Hormones complicate cat relationships terribly, and tomcats are often aggressive. After the hormones have have had time to go down, they should both be a lot calmer.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And yet another vote for de-sexing BOTH cats. They will both be far happier and calmer, and will be protected from some hormone-driven cancers, as well, and poor Garfee could get both testicular AND mammary and ovarian cancers, as well!

And yes, that is quite the interesting set-up Garfee has. I've never seen anything quite like it at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TwinkleStarrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your responses.
We will be going to the vet tomorrow for Smokey's follow-up check-up and I'll probably arrange with my vet both Smokey & Garfee's schedule.
I really hope that they live peacefully together.