My cat hasn't pooped in three days

sabrynahoneypot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I noticed that my one-year-old kitty hasn't pooped in three days. She is the same as usual, not in pain, she plays, eats, drinks, and pees just as usual. She is just not pooping at the moment. It happened once but she managed to poop the third day late in the evening. This is the third day around 8 pm. She doesn't normally poop every day, sometimes she does, and sometimes it is every other day. She already has an appointment to the vet in two weeks, for her annual check-up. I have been told that since she is not in pain, and does all the stuff she normally does (except pooping) to not worry but I have anxiety lol. I feed her dry food and sometimes wet food. Should I give more wet food? I don't have access to canned pumpkin. What can I do to help her digestion?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she has not had any recent changes in her food that might be the issue, then wait it out. It sounds like your cat does not poop with a daily, or even every other day, regularity. If she has gone before this long, just a few hours of a difference might not be enough to panic about, But, yes, if she goes into Day 4 you probably should tell the vet. Ask about giving her a dose of Miralax, just to see if that might help things move along. Usually, 1/8 tsp mixed with a bit of water and then added to wet food is the best approach to start with.

This is all being said assuming that there are no ongoing issues with her that you have not shared with us.

More wet food is a good idea, if she will eat it. More water, as well, if you can entice her to drink it. It sounds like she could use both on a more routine basis.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fantastic!
Keep in mind feebysowner 's suggestions, --more wet food and water should help with this issue, because even though it's "normal" for her to go for a long while in between, it's not necessarily optimal as she matures and ages (even if the vet isn't concerned).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrynahoneypot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It still wouldn't hurt you to try to feed her more wet food and less dry, as well as getting her to drink more. Multiple water dishes around the house and maybe even try a water fountain.
How much wet food should I give her daily? I never know I just let her eat. She doesn't overeat

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How much wet food should I give her daily? I never know I just let her eat. She doesn't overeat
I agree with the above posters on their comments.

It is quite normal for a cat not to poop for 3 days. My boy sometimes poop once in 4 days. As long as your cat is still active and playful and eating normally, I would;dn't worry that much.

Yes, wet food is good as wet food keeps your cat hydrated and especially if your cat does not drink water on her own. Since you cat is only 1 year old, she's just past her kitten age and moving towards her adult age and at this time, most cats will eat more than usual as they are going though a phase called 'growth spurt'.

How much food to feed her? It all depends whether you are feeding her on scheduled time or feeding her whenever she's hungry. All cats are different when come to feeding time and amount of food given. Some cats eat more and at one go feed less and some eat less but eat more frequently. So you have to observe the eating behavior of your cat and feed her accordingly to the amount and number of feeds per day. But if you cat feels full each time and move away from her dish, it's ok. Just as long as she is still eating her normal food.

For example, my boy is totally on wet food and he does not drink water and I don't free feed him. I feed him whenever he's hungry and I'll add a little filtered water in his food for him. He's coming to 8 years old and he eats enough to keep him full till the next meal and he does not overeat.

Keep your cat hydrated with wet food and you can always add a tablespoonful or two of filtered water and mix up with her to keep her hydrated.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I noticed that my one-year-old kitty hasn't pooped in three days. She is the same as usual, not in pain, she plays, eats, drinks, and pees just as usual. She is just not pooping at the moment. It happened once but she managed to poop the third day late in the evening. This is the third day around 8 pm. She doesn't normally poop every day, sometimes she does, and sometimes it is every other day. She already has an appointment to the vet in two weeks, for her annual check-up. I have been told that since she is not in pain, and does all the stuff she normally does (except pooping) to not worry but I have anxiety lol. I feed her dry food and sometimes wet food. Should I give more wet food? I don't have access to canned pumpkin. What can I do to help her digestion?
Hi there!Are you saying you " free feed"? I don't like to assume anything but it sounds like that's what you meant when you mentioned "she doesn't overeat "

I free feed as well ,I use Purina One weight mgnt,great for free fed kit kats or the "metabolic" foods are good too

Still,wet food is sooo beneficial as was mentioned by everyone here,just a little twice a day ( perhaps split a small can in 2- do refrigerate unused half until ready to use & warm the chill out ).... you might like the FancyFeast Petites,each serving has 2 servings portions OR Sheba,they also have the little plastic tubs,each with 2 portions

Honestly,It was mentioned you might want to try another Vet,get a second opinion-if it were typically every other day I'd lean towards thinking kitty might do well with some added fiber in her diet-ideally a healthy cat does eliminate waste daily( not ALL but most) so it's always cause for concern at 3 days with such a young kitty.....imo😻