My cat has turned into a monster!

pmar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, My girl Petrie is 9 1/2, and my boy Nugget is about to be 6. They're both fixed. I have had them both since kittens. Nugget I found on the street, tiny but clean and well fed, maybe about 6 weeks old. I'm sure his mom was around somewhere, but I had been out drinking so I made a bad decision to keep him for myself.

Nugget was always shy around friends. If he came out of hiding he would hiss or swat, maybe some scratches, but never causing any serious harm. He's always been super sweet with me- a total lap-cat. He loves to snuggle and be near me at all times. He follows me from room to room. He's been aggressive toward me on occasions if i accidentally step on his tail or try to cage him for a vet visit or something, but mostly he's very sweet toward me.

We moved once, which was unfortunately the same week as a hurricane hitting my town, so double the trauma. Maybe a year later I broke up with my live-in bf, so then the cat experienced another sudden trauma when he moved out.

More recently, I have made the huge move from America to Spain. I brought both cats with me, and the move itself was such a big process. It started in November when I got rid of almost everything I owned; strange people coming into my apartment and always they would leave with a piece of furniture. The first time I saw him behave so aggressively was after most of the furniture was gone and I attempted to cage him and move him out of the apartment. He went into crazy attack mode and tore up my hands. I had to go to a clinic for antibiotics when my hand started swelling up like crazy.

For the month of December I had my two friends watch the cats at their house while I stayed in another location. I visited the cats 3-4 times a week, often alone so they could get some QT with just me. Then of course extra vet visits before an international move, more shots, etc. The move itself was difficult- I drove from New Orleans to Miami, stopping a night in Orlando, and spent a few days with my parents in Miami before flying to Spain. The cats were with me the whole time, so they were shut in cages for long periods and then a long flight in the hold of an airplane. Despite sedatives from the vet, Nugget arrived in Barcelona with a terrible bruise on his nose, presumably from either pushing against it or being jostled during takeoff or landing. Petrie seemed fine.

First month in BCN I was in one apartment (while I looked for a more permanent place), and at the end of January I moved to another apartment. Now we have been in this flat for about 5 weeks, and I share with 3 flat mates.

Petrie and Nugget were never the best of friends, but tolerated each other with occasional scuffles. Recently there has been a lot of tension between them, with most of the aggression coming from Nugget. She tenses up as soon as he enters the room, and that never used to be the case.

Even worse, he has full on ATTACKED me 3 times in the last 10 days! Last weekend I was gone for 4 days and the morning after I returned was the first attack. All of these attacks are completely unprovoked, and they are absolutely terrifying. He is fast and agile and I have no way to defend myself because he backs me into a corner! He literally attacks me for no reason when I'm not even looking. I missed my classes yesterday (2nd attack) because first I was so shaken up that I was useless for half the day, and he tore up my hands (and legs) so badly that I could hardly move my right hand. I'm an artist and my classes of course are very hands on. I went to a clinic and they gave me a tetanus shot and (again) antibiotics, and I'm lucky they even saw me at all because the only ID I had on me was my US drivers license.

I saw a vet yesterday (not with the cat) and they gave me a feliway diffuser since I have two cats, and also calming pills. Oh and I didn't mention- a big reason why I missed class was because I was trapped inside one room while my keys, phone, wallet, jacket, and school supplies were all being guarded by Crazy in my room. I gave him a few hours to calm down, but even hours later when I exited this room he was still riled up and hissing and growling! I was barely able to retrieve my things and run out the door.

Got home last night and both cats were totally cool. I immediately gave him a calming treat and plugged in the diffuser. He had another treat this morning. Everything seemed fine, he was his usual super sweet self the whole night, snuggling, purring. He was fine most of this morning, then all of a sudden he attacked again! Again, completely unprovoked. it seems like this is happening when I am gathering my things to leave for the day. Thankfully none of my roommates have been home for these episodes, but he has shown some aggresssion toward them. Never as damaging as this week with me, but I'm worried he will act out again and I will be kicked out of this apartment. Currently he is locked in my room (been about 3 hours since the attack) and I can hear him crying from across the apartment. Not aggressive sounds, just sad, "let me out!" wails. It sounds pitiful and my heart breaks, but he needs to chill out.

I need some advice, please!! I love this cat and I realize that he has gone through a LOT of stressful chanes in the last few months, but at this point I am terrified. I'm walking on eggshells even when he seems like he's in a good mood because he flips like a light switch. I don't like being fearful in my own home. He is stressing out Petrie, and I'm sure my roommates wouldn't mind if the ankle swatter was gone. And like I said, if he ever attacks them, then something drastic WILL happen. Either he will go, or the 3 of us need to find an affordable apt in a foreign country that allows animals... not the easiest.

Nugget can be such a sweet, sweet creature, but he has been an absolute monster lately. I am afraid I will have to get rid of him but I really don't want to. If he attacks again and damages a nerve and I lose ability in my hand, I won't be able to paint for the rest of my life potentially. I'm afraid that even if I find him a new home that eventually he will be put down because he will be aggressive with the new people!!

Help! I don't want to get rid of my baby who I love, but I can't be living in fear of being in my own house. Any advice??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pmar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Addendum: I cracked the door of my room to see if he was calm enough for me to grab a sweater and he immediately started growling and hissing so I closed the door again. This is about 4 1/2 hours after the attack today.

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Nugget! I would suggest taking him to a vet just to make sure there is nothing medically wrong with him. Sudden aggressive behavior can indicate a cat is in pain. This is a huge change for him, and dealing with that level of stress can make a cat more vulnerable to being sick. You want to make sure he isn't in pain or ill before treating it as a behavioral issue. Is he eating, drinking, and using the litter pan ok?

How much play time and attention does he get? Do you play with him everyday with an interactive toy? That can really help relieve stress in cats and strengthen your bond with him. When you were gone for 4 days, who took care of the cats? Could something have happened to Nugget during that time?

In practical terms, it might help to hang all the things you need to leave (Like a bag with your wallet/keys/school supplies and your coat) on the door nob inside your room or on a hook near your door so you can easily get to it. That way he can't guard it, because if this is an extreme separation anxiety type of thing, him thinking he can intimidate you into staying in the house is just going to exasperate the problem. I would also recommend cutting his nails or having a vet cut his nails so he isn't able to hurt you as bad while you're trying to figure out what's wrong. Cut nails might not be able to break your skin at all, and a nail cut can last at least a couple weeks before it needs to be redone. It would also probably be a good idea to keep him in your room, because he seems really overwhelmed in general so a more manageable space is good, plus that way he can't attack your roommates.

Last edited: