My Cat Has Shut Himself Off

Khayezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat use to roam around the house with zero problems. Then one day he flipped out didn’t eat or drink for a couple days and will not come out from the upstairs bedroom. We took him to the vet and they found nothing wrong. He is eating and drinking again, using the litter box etc. but he will not leave the upstairs bedroom. We moved his food to the bottom of the stairs to try to get him to come out but that is as far as he will go. Idk what to do and asking for any tips to get my cat to be social and roam again.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you took him to the vet and he's OK, and back to eating and drinking again.

When you say "flipped out" what did he do exactly??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Khayezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was sitting there on my metal cabinet and suddenly went frantic for an unknown reason.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I assume someone or something, inside or out scared the bejesus out of him. If that's the case, and it was simply a noise or whatever in the house, perhaps getting him some calming treats, or giving him some chamomile tea (be sure it's the regular tea bags (german chamomile) the other kind is toxic, and give him about a 1/2 tsp, it has calming properties in cats without being a sedative. It might take a bit more coaxing to get him to not be afraid anymore, try continuing to use his food, treats, play time...anything that he would have usually enjoyed to lure him out. But don't push him too far, if you force him, it will probably backfire and put you back at square one. Play time followed by a meal is also a great way to build confidence in a cat. Doing this might help him get over whatever scared him.
The other thing, if it was something outside, especially an animal that may have marked, if the smell is still out there, it will continue to make him upset. Maybe go outside and see if you can see any spray or poop from an other animal near windows or doors that is lingering. Clean it up as best you can. You can get animal deterrents also.
There is also a product called Feliway, you can get it in a plug in form and a spray. It releases "good feeling" pheromones that can help calm a cat. Try putting one of the plug ins in the room that upset him, and then spray a bit on his usual sleeping spots and around the area he was when he freaked. It might help get him to remember that there is nothing to be scared of.
Cats also seem to like and are soothed from gentile classical music.
Basically, all the suggestions would help with either scenario (in or out scare source).
Just try to be patient. He should come around eventually, but as I said, if you push him too hard, and cause him to stress even more, it will just make things worse.
I'm not sure what else to suggest right now, but if I think of anything else, I'll come back.
Good Luck!!!!