My cat has first UTI

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They gave him a shot and some Baytril to take home. Plus Xanax and amitriptyline.  I can't believe he would need both of those. he is so doped up. I hope it wears off soon. I gave him the 2, at 2pm. i dont think he got all of the amitriptyline, i crushed it in his food which he didnt eat much of. I then got him to take the xanax. Which i regret. Anyone have any experience with these? I am not giving him any more of those. Only the baytril. I wish i would have researched them first. But you'd think the vet would know what she was doing. :(

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The amitriptyline is a common medication given to kitties with urinary issues especially the males.  Some males with chronic issues stay on it.  I hadn't heard of the Xanex being given as well but I do get it.  The males can block so easily.  It is possible that a male could block as a result of spasms from pain and stress which is the reason for these medications. 

lyssa366

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with what Denice said about the pain and stress, my kitty has urinary issues as well and I found that it stressed him out a lot because he was in pain when he was trying to pee, and stress can be a key factor to urinary problems, especially males being prone to blockages because of their small urethra. I was given different medications for his urinary issues, I haven't had any experience with Amitriptyline,  but I did put my kitty on Xanax when I was moving home, 8 hour drive, which stresses him out completely. It did really dope him up which was good because he just slept the whole way and I didn't have to worry about him being too stressed, which is why I believe your vet gave you Xanax. It's completely harmless, and there's nothing wrong with kitty being a little dopey for awhile as he is most likely in pain, it will definitely make him more comfortable. I would at least keep him on the Xanax or Amitriptyline just to keep him mellow for awhile, your vet knows what she's doing and wants kitty to be comfortable.