my cat has diarreah, help!

bizli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have any advice? Last night my cat slept ALOT, I knew he didn't feel good. Tonight he has diarreah and is miserable and meowing. He ate dinner though, tuna in a can (well half of it). The day before though he ate Friskies, and I was wondering if he got some sort of food poisoning, or is it a cold...what can I do for him? I didn't want to take him to the vet.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved your message to the health forum so more people would see it. Cats usually get diareah because of some kind of bug. Sometimes they will get it because their systems have been given some food that didn't agree. If it persists for more than a day or two, he should go to the vet. Cats can get dehydrated pretty quick.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

First of all, how old is your cat? Have you gradually changed his cat food or just changed it all at once?

If you cat is a kitten, diarrhea can be caused by worms (intestinal parasite), so don't wait too long as kittens can get dehydrated very quickly.

If your cat is an outdoor cat, he could've ingested something that has made him sick. I would get him to a vet. It gives you peace of mind and your cat will feel better.

good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bizli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I will take him to the vet tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. It may be just a bug, but I need piece of mind, I just can't tell how bad he feels.