My cat has crystals in her urine

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just got back home from the vet as I noticed my cat Jiggy was straining to pee with blood tinged pee coming out and very little urine.

When it first happened about 10 days ago, the next day she seemed to be urinating fine but as of yesterday the straining was happening again.

I believe it could be when Jiggy goes to pee outside, my younger cat thinks it's playtime and just launches herself on her.

The vet took a urine sample and said that there was no bacterial, just some crystals.

The bet has prescribed Loxicon to help with my inflammation for the next 2 weeks but the vet recommend I get Royal Canin or Hills Science Urinary wet and dry food to help with this but it's about 4x the price of the the food that I buy. The vet also told me that I cant mix and match and so royal Canin urine wet and dry or Hills science urine wet and dry.

Any advice on how to help Jiggy's situation?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The bet has prescribed Loxicon to help with my inflammation for the next 2 weeks but the vet recommend I get Royal Canin or Hills Science Urinary wet and dry food to help with this but it's about 4x the price of the the food that I buy. The vet also told me that I cant mix and match and so royal Canin urine wet and dry or Hills science urine wet and dry.
I assume these are struvite crystals?

You aren’t required to follow vet advice on food, given that prescription foods aren’t of great quality, and are expensive. All prescription uriniary food does is increase the urine pH to dissolve struvite crystals. This same effect can be achieved by a high quality wet-only or raw food diet. What kind of food is your cat currently on? Has your vet discussed cystitis or FLUTD with you? Some level of struvite crystals is typical in urine, and his issues may come from stress-related inflammation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Hi. All of the above! I don't know what set up you have for your cats going inside and outside, but perhaps if they are let outside at various times of the day, you let Jiggy out first to do her business, and then let the other cat out a few minutes later? You could always declare the time Jiggy is allowed outside by herself to be 'play time' with your other cat so that she is distracted from wanting to go outside at the exact same moment you allow Jiggy out. This could be done at least until you have a better idea and solution for what is going on with Jiggy (FIC/FLUTD, for example).

Re: the two urinary care food brands - as far as I know they do pretty much the same thing. So, I would ask your vet to explain why it is a matter of 'one or the other'. Although Feeby's issue was oxalate stones that she had to have removed surgically (struvite crystals can be dissolved with the use of these urinary care foods, oxalate cannot), she was fed both brands - wet & dry for years and years - with no recurrence of oxalate stones and no formation of struvite crystals. It is true that the primary purpose with these foods is to help keep the urine PH balance in a range that reduces the chance of stone/crystal formation. And, it is also true that a pure wet food diet of any kind can do just about the same thing. And, increasing water intake is also a very helpful step toward the same goal. But, I would never have not at least tried the urinary care foods for Feeby - not at least at the onset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I assume these are struvite crystals?

You aren’t required to follow vet advice on food, given that prescription foods aren’t of great quality, and are expensive. All prescription uriniary food does is increase the urine pH to dissolve struvite crystals. This same effect can be achieved by a high quality wet-only or raw food diet. What kind of food is your cat currently on? Has your vet discussed cystitis or FLUTD with you? Some level of struvite crystals is typical in urine, and his issues may come from stress-related inflammation.
He didn't discuss cystitis crystals but said that it would go away with a good diet, more water and less stress. I can't afford either of those foods suggested but I will upload a picture of what I went to just buy.. do you think this will help? I found the ingredients to be similar-ish the to prescription foodsm Also, Jiggy isn't a huge fan of dry food and loves her wet. She eats about 90% wet and 10% of her kibble so she seems to be getting her moisture content in I think. The food she is eating is Nood, it's an Australian brand.

Oh and as always, I never ask the questions I need answers to during the vet visit haha. It did seem strange that he was like it's either Hills or RC.

Last edited:

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Hi. All of the above! I don't know what set up you have for your cats going inside and outside, but perhaps if they are let outside at various times of the day, you let Jiggy out first to do her business, and then let the other cat out a few minutes later? You could always declare the time Jiggy is allowed outside by herself to be 'play time' with your other cat so that she is distracted from wanting to go outside at the exact same moment you allow Jiggy out. This could be done at least until you have a better idea and solution for what is going on with Jiggy (FIC/FLUTD, for example).

Re: the two urinary care food brands - as far as I know they do pretty much the same thing. So, I would ask your vet to explain why it is a matter of 'one or the other'. Although Feeby's issue was oxalate stones that she had to have removed surgically (struvite crystals can be dissolved with the use of these urinary care foods, oxalate cannot), she was fed both brands - wet & dry for years and years - with no recurrence of oxalate stones and no formation of struvite crystals. It is true that the primary purpose with these foods is to help keep the urine PH balance in a range that reduces the chance of stone/crystal formation. And, it is also true that a pure wet food diet of any kind can do just about the same thing. And, increasing water intake is also a very helpful step toward the same goal. But, I would never have not at least tried the urinary care foods for Feeby - not at least at the onset.
Thank you so much for your reply! You're always one of the first to respond. Jiggy eats mostly wet food and using the water fountain quite abit! Could it be from me giving her too many temptations and dine creamy treats? Lol.

Also, great idea on letting Jiggy out to do her business and keep Malibu inside for the duration. She's just peed in the corner of the carpet again just now though 😓

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is the food I just went and got from the supermarket. This was the best option that I could afford.
20210424_143808.jpg

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried them myself but there are some urinary support pastes you can discuss with the vet. GimCat has one too, I use their malt paste for hairballs. A trusted brands by vets in Turkey.

GimCat EXPERT LINE Urinary Paste - This functional cat snack protects the urinary tract and prevents urinary stones - 1 tube (1 x 50 g): Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I found this website that claims to be in Australia, in case it's trustworthy, they carry GimCat. https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/gimcat/b-597

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried them myself but there are some urinary support pastes you can discuss with the vet. GimCat has one too, I use their malt paste for hairballs. A trusted brands by vets in Turkey.

GimCat EXPERT LINE Urinary Paste - This functional cat snack protects the urinary tract and prevents urinary stones - 1 tube (1 x 50 g): Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I found this website that claims to be in Australia, in case it's trustworthy, they carry GimCat. https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/gimcat/b-597
Oh thank you so much!! Will definitely give these a go.