My Cat Has Changed, I Don't Know If She's Okay And I'm Really Worried.

Tuesday70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a really old gray cat, I've had her since I was a small child and she's really important to me. She was always very nice and all but I got another cat (a black cat) a few months ago that almost died in a flood. She didn't like him at all and tried to stay away from him all the time, but it didn't cause any major problems. Now, a few days ago, I took in another cat I saw beside the road. They are both young and hang around the territory my gray cat always stayed in and sometimes they even sleep in her bed, but now my gray cat always leaves all day and only returns to eat for a few minutes. The times I do find her she doesn't let me pet her and acts paranoid all the time. I spent all day today looking for her and I found her eating when I came back, but she left a moment after and I still can't find her.
Is there anything I can do? She has been spayed, and my mother made me give away her kittens away at a young age a long time ago, just in case that would have anything to do with it. I would appreciate any help at all, I'm really worried. Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hate change, and there have been some big changes in a older cat's life. It may take several months for her to get used to the others, maybe up to a year. She needs lots of time and lots of affection and encouragement. Offer treats and encourage her to stay around. She needs places she can escape their attention, is there any way she can come inside for a while, or have a place in a shed or garage to go into to? Females are not known to be super social, so don't worry that she seems not to like them, that is normal. They need to learn to leave her alone and everyone will be happier. Every one just needs lots of time to get used to each other. All the luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuesday70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats hate change, and there have been some big changes in a older cat's life. It may take several months for her to get used to the others, maybe up to a year. She needs lots of time and lots of affection and encouragement. Offer treats and encourage her to stay around. She needs places she can escape their attention, is there any way she can come inside for a while, or have a place in a shed or garage to go into to? Females are not known to be super social, so don't worry that she seems not to like them, that is normal. They need to learn to leave her alone and everyone will be happier. Every one just needs lots of time to get used to each other. All the luck and keep us posted!
Thanks for the reply. Whenever she comes around I give her as much attention as I can but she just gets really mad and nervous and then leaves. On another forum I posted someone said that she thinks that I showed her that nothing belongs to her because I introduced them poorly so she returns for necessities and then leaves, and that she doesn't trust me anymore. I'm just clueless on what to do because it seems to be getting worse every day. I can't bring her inside because my mom doesn't like animals being indoors.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be there for her. The fact that she is returning for food helps, make sure she gets it and maybe a few treats.She trusts you, she is just confused and nervous about the new ones being in her turf. Females have a easier time accepting others then toms do, it will just take a lot of time. They won't ever be friends, but they will accept each other. Try to be there to make sure the others don't attack her, she needs to build her confidence up again.

Tuesday70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just be there for her. The fact that she is returning for food helps, make sure she gets it and maybe a few treats.She trusts you, she is just confused and nervous about the new ones being in her turf. Females have a easier time accepting others then toms do, it will just take a lot of time. They won't ever be friends, but they will accept each other. Try to be there to make sure the others don't attack her, she needs to build her confidence up again.
Since I posted this she has been hanging around a bit more often, but she still worries me.

Tuesday70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(an update on everything): She left for a few days and then returned, she is hanging around a lot more often. Another problem I have, however, is the black cat seems sick. He purrs very loud and coughs, so I'll try to take him to a vet. I'm letting her stay outside and the black one stay in because he's sick, they won't be okay if I put them in the same place together. Hopefully she doesn't leave again...