My cat has bright red blood after popping - advice needed

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female kitty ( 2 years old) is having bright blood after passing the stool. ( this has been ongoing for a year now ) l. Stool is firm and looks good. She is very playful and happy cat. We have been to vets several times but vet confirms that she is healthy and this could be just how she is. When she is going to bathroom I can hear she is straining little bit. I’m feeding her with Royal Canin wet food sensory and little bit Canagan dry food to crunch over night. I tried to switch her to Lilys kitchen wet food but no success ( my kitty is very demanding)
Does anyone has experienced the same issue with your cat?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her stool is too hard. I'm concerned that your vet is not more concerned about this. It is not normal and could lead to her going outside the box at best and other health issues at worse..

Can you provide some unflavored Miralax or Restorilax to your cat? For 6 to 10lbs it's usually 1/4 tsp, dissolved fully in water and added to wet food. You can probably do every day for a week or so and then go to either 1/8 tsp or 1/4 tsp every other day.

If she still has blood after that, I encourage you to take a poo sample to the vet, perhaps a different vet.

* Miralax/Restorilax takes the water you dissolve it into and carries it to the colon, without taking start from the rest of your cat's body. It helps to keep poos soft and passable.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus also had constipation on Royal Canin kitten, what the rescue had fed him..he's now on Purina Pro Plan chicken and Rice. He gets Wureva 2 or 3 times a week as a suppliment. Any of the ones with pumpkin. I add at least an extra tsp of water to every meal.

Or elderly cat Nobel will take Restorilax for the rest of his life, however.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for advice. I think so too that this is caused by her stool being too hard - her stools looks normal but at the end i can hear her straining ( grunting ) which leads to fresh blood on poop. Days when she doesn't strain then there is no blood. She is not big water drinker. Very rarely i can see her drinking water ( i have many water stations set up for her at home ). I will get water fountain today - to see if this encouraging her to drink more.
I have booked appointment with another vet practise this Friday. I tried to change her diet to Lilys Kitchen but after 7 days ( did gradually ) she refused to eat new food and we are back on RC wet food + dry food from Canigan. Vets previously prescribed Probotics which seems to work ( powder which i mix with lickable treat ) otherwise she wouldn't eat it if its mixed with wet food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure what Lily's kitchen is. We don't have that brand here.
You may need to try a different brand. She might not like that one. No use arguing with a cat over what to eat...they usually win 😂

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure what Lily's kitchen is. We don't have that brand here.
You may need to try a different brand. She might not like that one. No use arguing with a cat over what to eat...they usually win 😂
Thank you, you are right - now I know that there is no negotiation with my cat about food 😀
I will keep trying to loom for another brand - so many out there. Lily’s kitchen is UK brand which states that they do proper meat and grain free food. Did you cat have the same issue ?

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Magnus also had constipation on Royal Canin kitten, what the rescue had fed him..he's now on Purina Pro Plan chicken and Rice. He gets Wureva 2 or 3 times a week as a suppliment. Any of the ones with pumpkin. I add at least an extra tsp of water to every meal.

Or elderly cat Nobel will take Restorilax for the rest of his life, however.
Her stool is too hard. I'm concerned that your vet is not more concerned about this. It is not normal and could lead to her going outside the box at best and other health issues at worse..

Can you provide some unflavored Miralax or Restorilax to your cat? For 6 to 10lbs it's usually 1/4 tsp, dissolved fully in water and added to wet food. You can probably do every day for a week or so and then go to either 1/8 tsp or 1/4 tsp every other day.

If she still has blood after that, I encourage you to take a poo sample to the vet, perhaps a different vet.

* Miralax/Restorilax takes the water you dissolve it into and carries it to the colon, without taking start from the rest of your cat's body. It helps to keep poos soft and passable.
Thank you so much for advice. I think so too that this is caused by her stool being too hard - her stools looks normal but at the end i can hear her straining ( grunting ) which leads to fresh blood on poop. Days when she doesn't strain then there is no blood. She is not big water drinker. Very rarely i can see her drinking water ( i have many water stations set up for her at home ). I will get water fountain today - to see if this encouraging her to drink more.
I have booked appointment with another vet practise this Friday. I tried to change her diet to Lilys Kitchen but after 7 days ( did gradually ) she refused to eat new food and we are back on RC wet food + dry food from Canigan. Vets previously prescribed Probotics which seems to work ( powder which i mix with lickable treat ) otherwise she wouldn't eat it if its mixed with wet food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, you are right - now I know that there is no negotiation with my cat about food 😀
I will keep trying to loom for another brand - so many out there. Lily’s kitchen is UK brand which states that they do proper meat and grain free food. Did you cat have the same issue ?
Magnus had the same issue when he was eating Royal Canin. He not eats Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice and gets Wureva 2 or 3 times a week. Now, that doesn't happen. We also found out he is allergic to beef, cow by-products and likely carrots.

There's not actually any science to show that grain free is necessary. There are no long-term studies to show that this actually increases a cat's lifespan. It's just word of mouth. What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets

I think you just need to try some different foods that are available to you and see what she likes.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Basically what you're looking for in a food is:
- cat has good energy
- coat is soft
- poo is log like but soft
- cat is able to stay hydrated
- anything else your vet tells you re your cat's specific needs

You can add some water to the wet food to help with hydration. Cats fed a mostly wet diet are not likely to drink, or to need as much water as one fed mostly or completely dry food.

I'm sure there are many good brands in the UK. You can ask your vet at appointment or see if your local pet store has a nutritionalist or if your vet has one you can email.

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Magnus had the same issue when he was eating Royal Canin. He not eats Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice and gets Wureva 2 or 3 times a week. Now, that doesn't happen. We also found out he is allergic to beef, cow by-products and likely carrots.

There's not actually any science to show that grain free is necessary. There are no long-term studies to show that this actually increases a cat's lifespan. It's just word of mouth. What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets

I think you just need to try some different foods that are available to you and see what she likes.
This is really helpful - thank you so much :) How did you find out that your kitty Magnus is allergic to beef & cow by products?

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Basically what you're looking for in a food is:
- cat has good energy
- coat is soft
- poo is log like but soft
- cat is able to stay hydrated
- anything else your vet tells you re your cat's specific needs

You can add some water to the wet food to help with hydration. Cats fed a mostly wet diet are not likely to drink, or to need as much water as one fed mostly or completely dry food.

I'm sure there are many good brands in the UK. You can ask your vet at appointment or see if your local pet store has a nutritionalist or if your vet has one you can email.

Thank you. Has been quite a long journey with this. Riah is very special cat to me and I'm doing my best to look after her. She is indoor cat and I always have been monitoring her poop. If I wouldn't then I would never notice the blood as cats covers their business.
Before Riah I had a beautiful rescue cat Poppy. Unfortunley a day before her 1st Birthday she passed away. I came home from work and she was unresponsive on the floor. Poppy was indoor cat and few days before she had a blood in her pee - when I took her to vets they said that's nothing serious - UTI and gave her medication. Few days later she passed away - Vets said that she had a heart attack and sometimes it happens to young cats. Was a big shock to me and was very sad& upset - still hard to believe it was heart beach that moron when I left home she was all happy and playful. Hence this I'm super cautious about Riah and doing my best to resolve this.

- Riah has amazing energy - very active indoor cat
- Coat is beautiful and shiny
- Eyes are bright and healthy

Only issue we having at the moment is the blood on the stool. Stool it self looks great but at the end too hard.

I will try to look for different food options and see what vet is suggesting on Friday.
Thank you so much for tips - helps a lot :)

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they run a pancreatic panel with blood work?

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they run a pancreatic panel with blood work?
Hey, they haven’t. Only time they did was last year before neutering ( she had this blood in stool issue since I got her and started feeding with RC wet &dry ). They did blood tests twice before neutering and everything was normal.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is really helpful - thank you so much :) How did you find out that your kitty Magnus is allergic to beef & cow by products?
He began to have chronic issues with his toe beds. I made a post on it with some visual photos, but they could be considered graphic to some people..

Let us know how it goes!

Be233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, just update - situation has improved. Vet thinks that she pushes her stool too hard that’s why there is bright blood at the end. Vet suggested to switch to Royal Canin digestive vet and dry But she won’t eat wet one so I keep giving her Royal Canin feel wet in gravy ( her favourite) Sometimes there is tiny streak of blood after poop ( poop is solid ) but not that often. I don’t give her any treats except hairball biscuits. 2 days ago I gave her cat yogurt treat - and tiny blood back again. Overall situation has improved but haven’t cleared 100 %

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
B Be233 Have you discussed Miralax with your vet? The unflavored one.

You must dissolve it completely in water before giving to you cat, but you can mix it in to the wet food. It works by storing water in the colon to keep the poos soft, so it won't hurt your cats bottom on the way out.