My Cat Has Black Tongue/mouth..eats Cat Grass Every Day For The Past Year

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has black tongue/mouth..very notable.....He eats quality cat grass that i buy online, that i grow for him. He eats the grass at least once a day or 2,3-4 times a day for about a 10 monhs now.
I read eating grass will give him the black tongue/mouth. Eating the grass has been a million times beneficial for him, now heading into his sbout 19th year...born either 2001 or 2002

Should i be concerned about the black tongue? If it is a slight negative side effect of the grass eating, i will likely continue his grass eating. He is a much healthy cat eating the grass.

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you post a picture? I once looked at my cat Atticus's tongue and saw what I believed to be fungus growing in the middle of it. He had a big black area right in the middle and I was frantic. Took him to the vet the next day and it turned out to be fuzz from a dark blue blanket that had collected in the papillae of his tongue! I knew he was kneading and licking the #$@ blanket but it never dawned on me that fuzz from it was collecting on his tongue.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a black tongue once, confounded all the Dr.s. Found out is was a reaction to something in Pepto Bismal! It could be a symtom of toxoplasmosis in cats though, I would definitely ask my vet for the cat to be tested since it is caused by a parasite in raw meat or garden soil. Some cats naturally have black tongues, just like some dogs. (Chows) Only you would know if he's always had it. In any case tell your vet! PS how black is the soil the grass is grown in, my cats actually stain their tongues and chins by rubbing in dirt!

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did this coloration just occur recently or was the tongue this color when you got him? Cats and dogs can have dark pigmentation in their mouth as well as their paws. Our cat bounder had one black paw and 3 pink ones. He was a black and white tuxedo cat. It was his normal pigmentation.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did this coloration just occur recently or was the tongue this color when you got him? Cats and dogs can have dark pigmentation in their mouth as well as their paws. Our cat bounder had one black paw and 3 pink ones. He was a black and white tuxedo cat. It was his normal pigmentation.
Queen Bee has dark, pigmented splotches on the roof of her mouth.
E empirefalls , are her gums good and pink?