MY CAT HAS BEEN MISSING FOR A MONTH....

findpennie209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone...

I have been trying desperately to find my cat, Pennie Lane for a month now. She is normally an indoor cat, but is allowed to go out every so often. She went missing on Saturday, August 29, 2015-The last time I saw her was around 2 pm on my front porch-I was only gone 20 minutes. I have put out flyers repeatedly (people tear them down), I put her on as many sites as I can, on craigslist, our local newspaper-anywhere I can think of. I've checked shelters, adoption sites, put her face on Facebook as well as those lost cat sites. I have scoured the neighborhood as well as received some help from a very nice neighbor who looks almost every night. I have put out her litter box and blankets she slept on for scent purposes and nothing. I leave food out every night, but my other cat and the neighboring outdoor cats eat it. I haven't tried using a humane trap because I honestly think someone (most likely a neighbor) took her. She had a tag and collar on that I KNOW wouldn't have come off unless someone took it off. She isn't microchipped because she has always been inside an I never got around to doing it. I've used rewards as incentive, but to no prevail. I just want her back. She is more than a pet, she is family and she means a lot to me.

It's a big world and some people don't think about how their actions can affect others-or maybe they just don't care. Id like to think there is more good in people than bad, but I am just at the point where I am losing hope.

I guess I am just looking for advice, but mostly hope. She has such a personality and she is just a sweetheart. I want her back and any other advice anyone has-even their own success story is greatly appreciated. I feel absolutely helpless and heartbroken.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry your sweet kitty has been missing.  A few ideas come to mind.  Have you gone door to door with a flier with her picture and announcing you are giving a reward?  Sometimes people don't see the fliers.  I would knock on doors and hand out the fliers.

Secondly, you can purchase a trail camera and place it so that you can see if she would happen to be around at night.  You can find them on Amazon or sporting goods stores.  They are about $50 for a low end.  You just need a micro SD card ( often found in digital cameras) and batteries.  You mount it and can take pictures or videos.  The next morning you pop out the card and view them through the digital camera or through your computer. 

I am sending good thoughts your way that Pennie Lane returns home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

findpennie209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! I have my flyers on the mailbox (we only have one mailbox in our gated community) and on the pin pad to get into our gate. I have gone to a few neighbors doors, but not all. I haven't tried getting a camera yet, but if it really works then I am open to try it. I really think someone took her because she has NEVER been gone this long before. I am trying everything I can to get her back. Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope a trail camera will spot her if she hasn't been taken.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As others said don't give up hope. I had one go missing for two months and he came back home. Another feral cat that was a kitten at the time went missing for eight months and suddenly showed up again. If they're unneutered/unspayed the chances of wandering and going missing are increased. I've noticed males tend to find a mate and stick with it. There is this male tom around my neighborhood that sticks with a particular female. I've noticed this behavior with other males/females. If your cat is spayed/neutered it could have gone wandering, someone else could have been feeding it and took it. But you need to also be prepared it might not return home

Another of mine has been missing for over two months. Another for nearly a month now. There are questionable people in my neighborhood that I suspect might be trapping them and/or taking them to drop somewhere. So my guesses are they could have dropped them somewhere and they were lucky to find their way back home before. I suspect this one guy of lying to me. He tells me one thing and now he either doesn't remember telling me or changes the story. When I reminded him he told me such and such and when he told me he played dumb like he didn't remember then makes an excuse he has to take a text on his phone as avoidance and walks off. So I've decided I might invest in wireless cameras to put up outside and perhaps a collar I can attach a small wireless camera on. Even if no one is taking them I will then be able to find out where they are or are going.

I try as I might to keep them in but they still manage to slip out and since these were former ferals and abandoned strays they are very quick/sneaky with slipping out the door.

Last edited:

hasler the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
did she come back? if so...how long did it take? because mine is missing for 2 weeks and 6 days. im very worried. he's a smart cat. so i cling to that thought. but my hope is dwindling. but i try to fire it up. i know its cheesy but because i really love my cat. :(

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had three cats of mine come up missing. Each time I've had suspicions of neighbors taking them but no proof to do anything. My cat Midnight got out but I was watching him. One minute he was there and the next he was gone, he has been gone since. There is a lady in the park that used to own him, she gave him up. She knew I was taking care of him and he had a good home now. The day he disappeared her kids or kids she had over were out playing in her yard. Some of these kids were familiar with Midnight. I asked if they had seen him and they said yes. When I asked them where as they walked away they ignored me.

In October 2014 I had my first cat Tiger go missing, he was Midnight's brother. Another neighbor wouldn't talk at first but suddenly told me that the lady that used to own him took him to a farm and dropped him. I suspect she also took Midnight. I've been meaning to confront her on it. However I haven't got around to it because we are still dealing with the aftermath of the recent passing of my father. I also have excruciating social anxiety that makes me unable to approach people besides impairing me from fluent conversation and verbal expression. It's hard to talk to people when anxiety and depression makes you feel emotionally detached all the time. I also have ADHD and am prone to easily losing train of thought, becoming disoriented and confused and shut down as a result. I don't know who it is yet, and I suspect this other neighbor isn't being honest with me. He acts avoidant and like he is hiding something. When I'm ready I plan on confronting this lady that previously owned them. I have it planned out to where I question here on what happened to the first cat. If she claims she hasn't seen him or knows what happened I'm going to say "Well that's not what X neighbor told me" then proceed to question her on where Midnight went. Depending on how that goes I'll proceed to confront this other neighbor.

My end all solution is to place wireless cameras outside and wait until another cat comes up missing. Then I'll hopefully have all the proof I need.

Btw I tried keeping my cats inside. Keeping outside cats esp. tamed ferals inside isn't an easy task. One way or another they are eventually going to find their way outside. We live in a relatively safe area, off back roads in a rural area with low traffic. Cat's generally stay away from the road and we watch them. If a cat takes a bit longer to turn up we go out looking for it. If we feel there is any danger we take them inside and try to keep them in for a while. Wild animals generally don't come in the park or too close but once in my ten years here I've seen a coyote or fox in the park but all cats turned up fine afterwards.

Edit: This other neighbor, not the lady that used to own them, the one that told tipped me off about Tiger keeps claiming he's seen Midnight. I know it's not him, it's some other cat, it acted feral and ran away when trying to approach it. Midnight was a very friendly and loving cat, he would go up to anyone. He knew his name well and would come when called, would especially come for canned soft food. This neighbor keeps insisting this is Midnight that he is seeing, he really wants me to believe Midnight is still around. I have anxiety but I'm not stupid and certainly no fool. We don't trust him one bit, if there is one thing we've become good at it's reading people and their intentions and this guy is quite the shady character. This neighbor is the only one I know in the park with a trap that would be able to capture these cats. More recently as of a month two ferals that have been coming around, one of which we tamed have come up missing.

Last edited:

kittywooo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crazycatfellow: your story is so heartbreaking. I hope you get your cat back safely.
With regards to the social anxiety and losing train of thought you mention, is there a trusted friend or relative who could speak to these shady characters on your behalf ? Someone you could tell this whole story to or maybe show them the post so they have the full picture, and could do the communicating for you ? You must be so stressed with this going on and your recent bereavement, it could be very helpful to have someone fight your corner and articulate your concerns and questions.
Perhaps they could record on a mobile phone or even film any conversations for your own records. I know in some areas you have legally to tell someone you are recording them, but if you just do it for your own records and to take in what they say at your leisure maybe you or your rep could 'forget' to mention it.
It may help to offer money directly to some of the people you suspect have info on your missing cat. Again if you could get someone to act on your behalf this would be safer for you. It's awful but shady people do tend to be motivated by easy money.
Get flyers made up and post them thro every neighbourhood mailbox you can. And perhaps mentioning a cash reward for any info leading to your cats safe return could swing it in your favour. People might even grass up someone who is involved in the disappearance of your cat if they think they will get money out of it. Hard cash could over rule any loyalties they might have and they can justify to their conscience that they are just helping you get your cat back.

I remember when my friends little dog went missing and the posters she put up were torn down. I helped her print some new ones mentioning a cash reward and we put these up, lo and behold someone rang up within the week. They asked about the reward and when it was confirmed that yes there was a cash reward for the dogs return, or info leading to the dogs safe return, my friend got her dog back. We suspect the person who brought the dog round and claimed the reward had dog napped the dog in the first place. Her story of how and where she found the dog changed. Liars find it hard to keep consistency.
I would trust your gut instincts on these characters, often we do pick up on things unconsciously, and can spot lies and liars.
Bless your heart I hope you get your cat safely back home, the very best of luck to you :)

kittywooo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pennie lane looks adorable !
Shadows Rescue's advice is excellent.
And I agree with other posters about flyers; get a big lot printed up and post through every neighbourhood mailbox and hand out to everyone you see. If you knock and there's no answer just put a few thro the letterbox. With a big dollar sign on the front in red and the word REWARD in bold ! Plus a photo of PennieLane.

Ask local shops if can leave a few on the counter or on a noticeboard? The offer of a cash reward, for safe return of your cat or info leading to her safe return, would encourage people to come forwand. If someone has taken her and others are aware of this they may not bother coming forward out of loyalty to their friend/relative or pure laziness don't want to get involved but the thought of cold and cash ... could be the thing to change their minds. Amazing how the thought of easy money sways some people.

As I mentioned in post to crazycatfellow when my friends dog went missing nothing happened until we changed the posters to mention cash. Then she got her dog back. And of course the woman who brought the dog back insisted on the reward and how much was it, before she brought the dog back.
The tearing down of posters you mention is disturbing and mean. It's also suspicious that someone nearby does have her or knows something and doesn't want anyone to have the opportunity to come forward to tell you.
Keep putting them up!
I wish you and sweet Pennie Lane the best of luck in being reunited soon.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crazycatfellow: your story is so heartbreaking. I hope you get your cat back safely.
With regards to the social anxiety and losing train of thought you mention, is there a trusted friend or relative who could speak to these shady characters on your behalf ? Someone you could tell this whole story to or maybe show them the post so they have the full picture, and could do the communicating for you ? You must be so stressed with this going on and your recent bereavement, it could be very helpful to have someone fight your corner and articulate your concerns and questions.
Perhaps they could record on a mobile phone or even film any conversations for your own records. I know in some areas you have legally to tell someone you are recording them, but if you just do it for your own records and to take in what they say at your leisure maybe you or your rep could 'forget' to mention it.
It may help to offer money directly to some of the people you suspect have info on your missing cat. Again if you could get someone to act on your behalf this would be safer for you. It's awful but shady people do tend to be motivated by easy money.
Get flyers made up and post them thro every neighbourhood mailbox you can. And perhaps mentioning a cash reward for any info leading to your cats safe return could swing it in your favour. People might even grass up someone who is involved in the disappearance of your cat if they think they will get money out of it. Hard cash could over rule any loyalties they might have and they can justify to their conscience that they are just helping you get your cat back.

I remember when my friends little dog went missing and the posters she put up were torn down. I helped her print some new ones mentioning a cash reward and we put these up, lo and behold someone rang up within the week. They asked about the reward and when it was confirmed that yes there was a cash reward for the dogs return, or info leading to the dogs safe return, my friend got her dog back. We suspect the person who brought the dog round and claimed the reward had dog napped the dog in the first place. Her story of how and where she found the dog changed. Liars find it hard to keep consistency.
I would trust your gut instincts on these characters, often we do pick up on things unconsciously, and can spot lies and liars.
Bless your heart I hope you get your cat safely back home, the very best of luck to you
I've considered using reward money as a motivator for the safe return of my cats - it would probably work with the types of folks living around us. I don't really have a friend or family member able to speak on my behalf and my mother is unable to because of similar reasons as myself. As I said I'm looking into wireless cameras so next time any cats go missing I have proof and can confront the perp to put an end to this.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a few false alarms that drove me frantic!  the Vets will accept your information just incase someone brings her in...check with pet stores if they to allow posters notices to be posted for you, grocery stores cafe's  Good Luck

Beautiful Kitty hope for safe and sound return 

@crazycatfellow  I have cameras up  wireless cams can be hacked, anything set on motion detector can also be frozen via infrared devices that's what criminal 'perps' do....Best is to have everything wired :eek:)

you can buy software- demo online first- software that will enable viewing from any device while away from home, if it's saved on the site more expensive, saved on hard drive less costly but able to view 'Live'

It's not that complicated to do camera costs vary even tiny webcams serve as a purpose. Hope you receive news soon....
    *more and more people are using cameras prepare for the worst *

johnwdcooper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is similar to my story... my baby kiki went out in back garden 4 weeks ago. she is not normally out for more than an hour. She either went walkabouts or got spooked and shot off. Shes a timid cat so she wouldve probably hid somewhere. not knowing where she is, is crippling me. She is such as delicate thing.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J johnwdcooper , Please start a new thread under forums Cat SOS and click start thread. You will receive many more answers. This started out at a very old date.....
My heart breaks for your pain. My only advice is to make sure your local shelters have a picture of her to compare with any brought in or reported. Maker up posters and hang them everywhere, ask neighbors to check sheds and garages. Make ever-widening circles and search carefully, calling her name. Pay special attention to any birds screaming I have found many cats nearby. I'll pray for her safe return.....bless you fro loving her so much.