My cat has been drooling

Jordan2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 month old cat the past couple have days has been drooling an excessive amount. I first noticed it when i found him sleeping on my desk chair and saw just a bench of what i thought was water but it was drool.

his behaviour has looked normal and nothing has changed in terms of his behaviour other than this excessive drooling these past couple days. I tried opening his mouth and did not find any redness or inflammation around his teeth, also when he yawned i quickly checked inside his mouth and did not find anything of concern.

should i make a visit to my vet?

I should have prefaced this with something that happened 4-5 days ago.

my mother saw my cat vomit and found a piece of balloon ribbon in his vomit. Perhaps a few inches in length. After he got that out, he vomited 1-2 more times of just empty content in his stomach. From that day on he got some rest and was fine. He has been eating and drinking normally.

70750649123__4F2D4692-9009-487C-BC3E-98A7D6C06FC6.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When in doubt, see a vet. Better safe than sorry. When my cat was drooling excessively he had a bad tooth and needed it to be removed; once it was removed he was fine again. It could come down to a lot of different things and I think only your vet could really tell you for sure.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I just want to second that you have a couple potential situations here as were mentioned. A bad tooth or a mouth condition (and it is very hard to examine your own cat's mouth) or an ingested ribbon. I would get to a vet sooner than later if possible.

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would make a trip to the vet especially since he ate something he should not have, drooling can sometimes be a sign of nausea and since you know he ate some ribbon it is possible that a small piece did not come out with the vomit and may still be inside.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please go to your vet and when you make the appointment be sure to tell them about the balloon...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't agree more with all the above posts. :agree: You have a majority of recommendations to take your cat to the vet. If you cannot get an appointment soon please take him to a veterinary emergency clinic. And please keep us updated on his condition. Good luck! :crossfingers: