My cat has been drooling and not eating and barely drinking

joeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took him to the vet and they thought he may have ate something bad so they gave him a nausea shot and hydration shot, we waited a couple days but nothing changed so we took him back and they gave him an antibiotic shot and some pain medicine because the doctor think it might be an infection, we are taking him back tomorrow to get tests done if he doesn't get better, i dont think it's something he ate considering his drool smells bad and he's still interested in food but he makes it seem like it hurts to chew or swallow. He has just been sitting by his water bowl for the past 3 days, he barely moves and it's the sadest thing ever, he won't even lay down fully he just crouchs with his paws under his body. I've been reading a lot about it but I would like some people's opinion on what it could be. I've been hand feeding him wet food diluted with some warm water, he's never been this sick before I mean he's might of acted funny for a day but never to this extent. Please help me.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring him in sooner, to your Vet.

Because his drool does smell bad, it does sound like either a bad infection, or something further going on within his system.

(With my rainbow cat, he had dental problems and an awful smell, and when he had late-stage kidney problems, his breath also smelled bad from the uremia.)

If you can get him in sooner, to do those blood tests, x-rays, or whatever the tests are...I would take him in.

He sounds like he's in pain, sitting in that 'meatloaf position' with his paws crouched under him.

You can try syringe feeding him, with mushy, watered down, well blended canned cat food, or chicken baby food (no garlic or onions), and some regular baby pedialyte, for hydration.

This thread shows how to syringe feed, in post #1:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating

And there are some good youtube videos about syringe feeding cats.

Your Vet should be phoned first, and asked if it's okay to syringe feed, in case your cat has some mouth ulcers, or if your Vet would suggest other things to do.

Good Luck, @JoeB. sending health vibes for your cat.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised the vet didn't catch the odor.  It does sound like @cat nap  says some kind of infection or something else GI related.  My Sammy had a bad odor and drooling when he developed mouth and throat ulcers from kidney failure.  He too was still interested in food but wouldn't eat because it hurt.  Poor baby!  The vet put him on pepcid and an antibiotic by mouth - not a shot - which helped clear up the ulcers.  He HATED the pepcid though!  Hope your kitty gets better soon!

MichiB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever find out what’s going on with your cat?!? I’m having the same thing happen with my cat now. He wants to eat but can’t, and he’s lost a ton of weight. I have been feeding him with a syringe but he has stopped accepting food and now just drools profusely. The vet says it’s his liver because he’s stopped eating but has offered now reason as to why he’s stopped eating in the first place. We’ve also tried the Pepcid and he drools so much I doubt he even gets any. We’ve had blood tests that all come back normal, an ultrasound where they found nothing unusual. I’m beside myself, I don’t know what else to do.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Max had similar symptoms last year. He had tooth resorption and an abscess in his mouth. The vet had to remove 6 teeth including both upper canines. Did the vet check his teeth?