My cat has been breathing quickly last few weeks.

Kauri_Yang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been breathing fast the last few weeks but he's acting normal. He is eating, drinking, peeing, and defecating normal. He acts like his usual self besides the fact of his breathing. He is a lynx point siamese and weighs 15lbs. He is 3 years old about to turn 4 in June and I just want him to live a happy life. I can't do much besides take care of his needs as I am a minor. I have asked many times to take him to the vet but would be pushed aside. We are taking him on tuesday finally, but I'm still so worried. My cat has done so much for me. I'm not sure what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm not a vet, and I'm making the assumption at the moment that there isn't anything else wrong. With that said and dependent on the findings at the vet visit it sounds to me as though your kitty needs to lose some weight. Siamese cats are typically slim felines. To accomplish this, don't rush it--cats need to lose weight very slowly, but feed only canned food if possible and give him lots of exercise.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Something that might help the vet - when your guy is resting, even better when he is actually asleep, count the breaths per minute for 30 seconds and multiply by two. A single breath counts as one inhale/one exhale. So, start the stopwatch on your phone after you watch one inhale/exhale, then start the count - one for each rise (or each fall) in the chest. Check it at 15 seconds, and again at 30 when you stop the stopwatch. Do it a few times before the vet visit and let them know the results. This is something than can be helpful to the vet, and something they can't do since they will not be seeing your cat when in total rest/sleep. Typically, a cat runs in the mid-20s, when fully asleep, but there are always differences among cats. And, sometimes they are not as asleep as you think - that is why you do it multiple times!

mia828

Amigo del Gatos
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been breathing fast the last few weeks but he's acting normal. He is eating, drinking, peeing, and defecating normal. He acts like his usual self besides the fact of his breathing. He is a lynx point siamese and weighs 15lbs. He is 3 years old about to turn 4 in June and I just want him to live a happy life. I can't do much besides take care of his needs as I am a minor. I have asked many times to take him to the vet but would be pushed aside. We are taking him on tuesday finally, but I'm still so worried. My cat has done so much for me. I'm not sure what to do.
hello, I was just wondering what the vet said caused the fast breathing?