My Cat has become very aggressive towards me

GregSvein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I’ve had my cat for about 5 years now, and recently he’s become very aggressive towards me.
It started when I walked upstairs a couple of days ago and he woke up and his fur started to poof out. I gave him a little scratch on the head and didn’t think much of it. But then he started following me around and when I turned around to walk back, he was blocking the door. So I just tried to step over him and he went ballistic, even after I pushed him off me he still scream attacked me again, until I eventually locked him in a room. This was not a play fighting thing, I was bleeding all down my leg. It was like a switch flipped in his brain and he didn’t even recognize me.
Stuff like this has happened before but usually something sets him off, like him chasing after a bird outside or something like that. I live with my mom, dad, and sister, and yet he only seems to be mad at me. When ever I get close he growls at me and tries to attack. It’s been two days and he won’t stop growling at me. He gets very aggressive, hitting doors when I’m behind them and trying to talk to him.
Can anyone help me? He’s been a normal cat up to this point, and I still love the little jerk.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering whether there has been a change in your routine which has gotten the scent of other animals on you or anything that has changed your normal scent. Try to think back on these last few months for anything that has changed. Could be as little as using a new soap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GregSvein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t think of anything that’s changed except that I’ve been around more because of social distancing. But other than that nothing has changed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, something has changed - even if it isn't important or noticeable to you, it is to him. Perhaps, you are under a lot of stress (wouldn't be surprising under the circumstances!) and he can sense it about you. Being home more could also impact things, especially if the stress level with you is involved. I would tread lightly around him and make sure he knows you are approaching him so it doesn't catch him off guard. Maybe you can use some tips in this article to get him back to where he was with you before? I also included another article, just in case it might help as well.

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
Cat Acting Strangely? Here’s What It Could Mean

It could all be a fluke in that something set him off that you are not aware of and you happened to be the first one he saw thereafter, so he is relating what ever that was with solely you. Keep us posted!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that is a possibility is that when you walked upstairs and startled him as he was sleeping it scared him enough that he now distrusts you. I would try to give him maximum personal space for a while and otherwise pretty much ignore him until he gets less fearful of you.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put a new lotion on once and my cat went nuts. Puffed up, hissing, acting like she didn’t know me, etc. Another time it was an electric tooth whitener that glowed. She completely lost it, took her an hour to calm down. I’d review everything you did and touched in the last hour before the first episode.

requin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I’ve had my cat for about 5 years now, and recently he’s become very aggressive towards me.
It started when I walked upstairs a couple of days ago and he woke up and his fur started to poof out. I gave him a little scratch on the head and didn’t think much of it. But then he started following me around and when I turned around to walk back, he was blocking the door. So I just tried to step over him and he went ballistic, even after I pushed him off me he still scream attacked me again, until I eventually locked him in a room. This was not a play fighting thing, I was bleeding all down my leg. It was like a switch flipped in his brain and he didn’t even recognize me.
Stuff like this has happened before but usually something sets him off, like him chasing after a bird outside or something like that. I live with my mom, dad, and sister, and yet he only seems to be mad at me. When ever I get close he growls at me and tries to attack. It’s been two days and he won’t stop growling at me. He gets very aggressive, hitting doors when I’m behind them and trying to talk to him.
Can anyone help me? He’s been a normal cat up to this point, and I still love the little jerk.
\
I know it's been over a year since you posted this but I"m wondering what happened w/ your cat who got aggressive towards you suddenly? Because the same thing is happening to me now w/ my 3 year old neutered male cat, Robinson.

The first time he did it was a few years (?) ago after he smelled his ear on my finger.
Then he didn't do it again until about 2 weeks ago when I was cleaning up some hairballs (his) and he came to see what I was doing, smelled the puke, and went insane on me. I locked him in a bedroom overnight and he was ok by the next day.

Now it's been not even 2 weeks later and this time first he was playing gently w/ my fingers and then out of nowhere he went insane, hissing, screaming, and running away from me. He's in the garage now where he will spend the night.

The vet will call me tomorrow. I'm going to see about prozac or something like that for him, maybe (I'm researching it online now). I don't know what to do, but I can not keep a cat who is going to out-of-nowhere attack me!!

When he's not in Mr Hyde crazy mode, he and I are extremely bonded and he's very gentle. It's just me and him and we're a team. I don't get it. I am sad.