My cat has an anxious twitch?

milosmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some advice about some strange behaviors my sweet Milo has been exhibiting. Quick facts:
  • I adopted him from a shelter in late May
  • He is 1 yr and 5 months old
  • He was treated for fleas/ticks, fully tested/vaxed and neutered prior to me getting him
He is definitely still adjusting to his new home but has been making progress every day! One minute he's the sweetest, most playful boy but then all of a sudden will get into one of his "episodes." When this happens his head twitches (it looks like there's something in his ear/mouth that he's trying to get out), his tail swishes vigorously, his pupils dilate, and sometimes he kicks himself (it's almost like a reflex, not in a playful way) or excessively grooms.

I took him to the vet to rule out any skin infections/allergies, as well as fleas/mites. They said he's perfectly healthy and it's probably just anxiety. For a few weeks now he's been great and hasn't shown any signs of the twitch... until today. I have no idea what causes it but my heart hurts seeing him look so uncomfortable. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice is appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milosmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been researching hyperesthesia and I think it could be that too! The vet prescribed gabapentin for his anxiety which seemed to help a little. Poor guy.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lulu has twitchy back and over grooming. I have thought hyperesthesia too but since I’ve cut out all fish from her diet, she doesn’t seem to have these episodes.

There are foods that say chicken or beef but they still have fish meal in them. If you do decide to try cutting out something make sure to read ingredients.