My Cat Has A Weird Black Gunk In Her Whiskers, Please Help!

bioluminescentgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this strange black gunk on my cat's face. I thought it was possibly acne as it seems to be coming out of one of the pores her whiskers grow out of, but it has been there for a few weeks now, which seems like a long time for a pimple. I tried to clean her face but she squirmed away and I was never able to do it. I touched it once and she jerked away like it hurt. Other than when I touched it, she doesn't seem very bothered by it. I'm not sure what to do. It doesn't seem to be going away on its own. Thanks for the help!

P.S. There is a picture attached, though the lighting sucks and I'm not sure it will help. You can see the black speck on the left side of her face.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There is a picture attached, though the lighting sucks and I'm not sure it will help. You can see the black speck on the left side of her face.
Yes, I agree the lighting is not great, therefore, I'm not sure I can see what you're describing. Is it where the whiskers meet her face? What is the texture, e.g. is it hard? What have you tried to clean it with, e.g. warm water?

BTW, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Perhaps another member will be able to see what you're describing better and can offer more advice.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found this strange black gunk on my cat's face. I thought it was possibly acne as it seems to be coming out of one of the pores her whiskers grow out of, but it has been there for a few weeks now, which seems like a long time for a pimple. I tried to clean her face but she squirmed away and I was never able to do it. I touched it once and she jerked away like it hurt. Other than when I touched it, she doesn't seem very bothered by it. I'm not sure what to do. It doesn't seem to be going away on its own. Thanks for the help!

P.S. There is a picture attached, though the lighting sucks and I'm not sure it will help. You can see the black speck on the left side of her face.
Babbette had that as well. Turned out to be tissue inflaming her gums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bioluminescentgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I agree the lighting is not great, therefore, I'm not sure I can see what you're describing. Is it where the whiskers meet her face? What is the texture, e.g. is it hard? What have you tried to clean it with, e.g. warm water?

BTW, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Perhaps another member will be able to see what you're describing better and can offer more advice.
Here, maybe this is a bit better.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, thanks, now I see what you are referring to and it appears to be something affecting the skin hopefully not a parasite. I thought this Article on Skin Conditions in Cats might be helpful. Look it over and see if there is anything familiar or symptomatic: Skin Conditions In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bioluminescentgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, thanks, now I see what you are referring to and it appears to be something affecting the skin hopefully not a parasite. I thought this Article on Skin Conditions in Cats might be helpful. Look it over and see if there is anything familiar or symptomatic: Skin Conditions In Cats

Thank you! I appreciate th help!