My Cat Has A Second Home

Pinkbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I wanted to share this with my fellow cat friends.

I have an outside cat, whom I've had since he was born. As he got older, he started to venture out more and expand his territory. I worried about something happening to him, but he always returned home. Here lately he has been gone a lot, disappearing days at a time.

Tonight he came strutting up with a green collar around his neck with a little bell hanging on it. It really upset me at first. Someone put a collar on MY cat! But I decided that I can't do much, he is outside, and I can't bring him inside, unfortunately.

So, I wrote a little note, wrapped it around the collar and taped it to it.
It says, "Hi, I think my cat has two homes. :) This is Tabby. We have had him since he was born. He's a year and four months old. He is my son's cat and we adore him. I noticed he was leaving a lot more lately and staying gone longer, and doesn't want to eat much when he's home. I'm okay with him having two homes because he's the most loving, laid back cat ever and he deserves lots of love. We live on County Rd 607 Write back. Tabby 's Mom''.

Now I guess I will wait and see if he comes back with a note from his second family!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be fun if you and the other "owner" exchange notes everytime your cat comes home, and then leaves. You can write down what your cat did for the day, and in exchange the other owner also tells their story. In that way you both will be reassured he is having one heck of a good time everyday! :)

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tabby looks like a cute laid back cat :) I think its a great idea to write notes when he goes and returns to visit. You could start a web page for him where you can post the messages of his daily and nightly visits :) This is awesome :hyper::clapcat:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps Tabby should be nicknamed Tabby the Tramp. Lol

The "step" parents might be interested in meeting Tabby's kids.

I would have LOVED to meet kittens from greg or arnold, if they had any.

Let us know what happens please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinkbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess his new owners are stuck up. Tabby came home just now with no note on his collar. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered and vaccinated? If so, put that on his collar so they don't haul him off to the vet for unnecessary procedures.

Most outdoor cats have several homes, I think. There was one we had when I was a teenager who "belonged to" the whole neighborhood. He was even a member of the church :D.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess his new owners are stuck up. Tabby came home just now with no note on his collar. :(
I guess his other owner is still trying to get over the "shock". LOL.

Don't quit, keep sending the notes. This time, tell them how happy you are that your shared cat is still being allowed to come home to you; what his favorite food is, his quirks, etc. Make it something funny to entice them to write you back.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwee they didnt write back :( such a bummer. You would think they would be nice enough to respond, maybe they are a little upset about it. Or maybe they feel bad thinking that they almost claimed someone elses cat as their own and didnt want to upset you.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were a second house for a neighborhood cat many years ago, but her family knew it and approved because they were glad she had another safe place to go. If they didn't see her for a day or two, they would call. I would say, oh she's asleep upstairs, do you want me to bring her home? And they would say no they just wanted to make sure she was okay. We loved her dearly.

I wonder if that other family put the collar and bell on Tabby because they feed the birds and want them to be warned if Tabby comes around? I think I would take that collar off and put one of my own on with my name and phone number on it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We were a second house for a neighborhood cat many years ago, but her family knew it and approved because they were glad she had another safe place to go. If they didn't see her for a day or two, they would call. I would say, oh she's asleep upstairs, do you want me to bring her home? And they would say no they just wanted to make sure she was okay. We loved her dearly.

I wonder if that other family put the collar and bell on Tabby because they feed the birds and want them to be warned if Tabby comes around? I think I would take that collar off and put one of my own on with my name and phone number on it.
Good Idea. You can get that done at petco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinkbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I have an update!
So, it had been a good min since Tabby checked in at home and I was starting to get worried, not to mention, we really missed him. There's two blocks of houses in front of my road with a good distance between my house and those houses, but I figured that's where I would find Tabby because I did once before.
My son and I decided we were gonna take a walk over there and we spotted him right away. My son went and picked him up and was so happy.
I noticed there were people outside at two different houses so I decided to be friendly and go talk to them.
The first lady was really nice and she told me she feeds him all the time, as well as the other cats that cat around the hood. She said they call him Kit Kat. I asked her about the note but she didn't know anything about it, but she did tell me the people across the street feed him also.
Just so happened, there was a guy standing outside there, too, so we trucked over to him. Before I could say anything, he told me they got my note and sorry his wife didn't write back. He said Tabby stays on their front porch all the time and they feed him good and his kids love him.
I thanked him for taking care of my cat, told him a little history about him, and assured him that he would be back, but we were missing him so we were gonna take him home.
He's currently in there sleeping with my son tonight.

I was very pleased with the way it all went. :)

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I have an update!
So, it had been a good min since Tabby checked in at home and I was starting to get worried, not to mention, we really missed him. There's two blocks of houses in front of my road with a good distance between my house and those houses, but I figured that's where I would find Tabby because I did once before.
My son and I decided we were gonna take a walk over there and we spotted him right away. My son went and picked him up and was so happy.
I noticed there were people outside at two different houses so I decided to be friendly and go talk to them.
The first lady was really nice and she told me she feeds him all the time, as well as the other cats that cat around the hood. She said they call him Kit Kat. I asked her about the note but she didn't know anything about it, but she did tell me the people across the street feed him also.
Just so happened, there was a guy standing outside there, too, so we trucked over to him. Before I could say anything, he told me they got my note and sorry his wife didn't write back. He said Tabby stays on their front porch all the time and they feed him good and his kids love him.
I thanked him for taking care of my cat, told him a little history about him, and assured him that he would be back, but we were missing him so we were gonna take him home.
He's currently in there sleeping with my son tonight.

I was very pleased with the way it all went. :)
Yay a happy ending! :happycat: