My cat has a PU surgery in November

Sonny1120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 yo British shorthair had his first blockage in October by the end of November we had to do the surgery. He never seemed to be right after having a catheter in him 3 times. The first time he was blocked my vet had to keep him with catheter over night but unfortunately they were not a 24 hr office so in the morning they found he had linked the hose so had to remove catheter and place another one. About 2 weeks later her was having problems again this time I took him to. 24 hour hospital and be had to have another catheter placed. He was so depressed and I could not get him steadily on the prescription food. He still didn’t get back to normal so finally decided to do the surgery. He was sent home the next day what a bloody mess he had to be caged until the clot fully formed and he stopped bleeding. What a horrible experience. The new diet gave him diarrhea, tried so many different types. I think he is allergic to the food and don’t know what to do. He then developed yeast infection I assumed from the food. I really want to put him back on the raw diet he was on before but keep second guessing myself since that what he was on when the problem started. After going for a 2 month recheck with the surgeon they found his liver levels had spiked so he had to be on antibiotics. Which I think also make him sick. He did not have a UTI just the liver issue. After the antibiotics for a week he stopped eating and was throwing up and explosive diarrhea. I have decided to hold off on meds and prescription food until he gets normal. Sonny is a sweet boy and he has been so mad at me for all the trips to vet and meds. Good news is the hospital that did the surgery is using him in a study for cats having this surgery since there is not a whole lot of helpful information out there for people to refer to when dealing with a cat having this problem. If anyone can share their experiences I would appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonny1120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The yeast infection was in his ears I forgot to say that.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's not all the common for cats to end up with the P/U surgery, so looking at the search results may be your best bet here. I'm wondering if your Vet is a Feline only Vet? If not, do you have access to one? Or maybe better yet, to a holistic vet? That way they can better address the food issue along with the bladder issue because if he is indeed having problems wit the prescription food, than obviously that isn't going to work. When you were feeding raw, was it a commercially prepared food? Was it freeze-dried by any chance? Some (most) of those freeze-dried formulas are quite high in calcium which I'm guessing could have contributed to the issue :dunno:. I feed one of mine freeze dried and add in extra muscle meat to counteract the high bone content in it. Either way, perhaps a holistic vet could help you with the proper diet, or we also have a subforum dedicated to raw feeding that might be able to offer some thoughts on the subject. It's here: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat just had this surgery and he has been in the emergency hospital for a week. Surprised that they would even try and send a cat home the next day. My vet will not keep animals overnight and requires that they be transferred to the e-hospital.

A word of warning about holistic vets - the one here is a charlatan who prolongs the suffering of terminally ill pets by convincing their owners that a cure is just one raw diet away.

Also interesting comment about the freeze dried raw food, I always worried about that. Luckily I found a locally sourced of frozen raw food like Dr. Pierson makes and hopefully I can get him back on it. I just don't want to upset his tummy on top of everything else right now.