my cat has a lump..

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just noticed petting my kitties tummy, I feel a small lump, it feels soft when I push on it lightly does not bother her, and she acts fine

I am thinkng this is most likely something that maybe serious, and bring her to the vet, like I said des not bother her at all. the only reason I noticed was rubing her tummy, she is long hair, who knows how ling it has been there, she was at the vet maybe a month and a half ago, for blood work and a phisical.. I they felt around did not notice.. What do you think.. she jumps around and is really carzy as usual for an older cat female by the way.. thanks for any input...

sorry repeated this post some how it went into behavior   

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's not a nipple? Also, when was she spayed? If a kitty wasn't spayed before the age of 9 months they can get mammary cancer. I'd have it checked out. I know several people that found a lump on their kitty's belly like that but brought them to the vet anyway and they had to remove it so it wouldn't become mammary cancer. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you may be right about a nipple, the wife said that too, we got her when she was around  2 or 3  and they said she had a litter, think I will take her to the vet   thanks

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip> If a kitty wasn't spayed before the age of 9 months they can get mammary cancer. <snip>
It's not to do with age at spaying but number of times they call.  The risk goes up with each call.

The most protection comes from spaying before they first call, and some kittens have been known to call at 4 months old.

Suggest the OP pays their vet a quick visit, though I had a cat with a lump under his nipple which was a blocked duct, like a giant blackhead.  I could see it as well, just like a blackhead.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good! Especially if she's had a litter I'd like to see that lump checked out. Let us know what happens. 

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi  I took her to the vet, and the prognosis is not good, good chance it is cancer, and feels a lump ot mass of some sort in her lyme nodes, suggesting stage 2 or 3  the tumor itself is less than a cm  whcih is good caught it early, also saying if it is in her lungs, will not do surgery, this sucks...  she is 12 years old, and almost rather not do anything,  they do not want to just remove the tumor, take out everything, connecting all her breast..  I don't know about this... said her chances are 2 out of 3  possibly.. I guess that means living another couple years if that.. I am not worried about the cost at all... just my kitty... :(     sorry about the spelling..   Been sad all day.. now I have to take  my mom to the doctors,  she is having serious issues.. my wife  just had cancer surgery not even a year now,  why me..  my 3 ladies  need me..  sad :(   doin the best I can, one thing after another...

on a good note.. I have a wonderful vet.. I was there almost 2 hours.. he is very compasionate  and caring.. and loves minca like I do...

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry to hear all of this. You are going through such a rough time right now. I don't have any advice for you, just a shoulder and someplace to come and talk about how you're feeling. We're all here for you. 

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks finnlacy, has anyone  had there cat go through with this surgery. please let me know.. and if not, how bad is it not to do.. either way I would like to know what is coming once I decide   thank you

Last edited:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've known both people that went ahead with similar surgeries and some that didn't. It can extend the life of your kitty for several years and give some quality time together. I'd say the vet is the only one that could give an estimate of time if you don't go ahead with the surgery. I know this is all so much to think about. I wish I had a definitive answer for you.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks again finnlacy   I am hoping to get some responses form people that have expierience with the surgery, or not doing the surgery, my vet did not give me a definate answer, my vet only works with cats.. actually we have two in town.. the best place to bring your kitty is too a vet that knows.. I drive 18 miles and my kitty screams , well worht it. the other one is just down the road.. they are rude! 

I am too sya the least very worried  with what ever decision we make.. it is all about her.. I don't wnat to see her sufer either way of course.. with this surgery, they take everything.. a huge incision, do I want her to go through  this at her age.. I don't know...  thank you

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope someone jumps in to give you some experiences and advice. The forum seems a little slow today but usually there are many people here that are extremely helpful so hang in there. Just know that I'm thinking of you and your precious sweetheart. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry your little lady has possible mammary cancer. Now that you have a probably diagnosis, you might want to start up a new thread (unless you can change the name of this one) since you are looking for people who have some experience with this specific diagnosis. 

for all THREE of the ladies in your life. 

ln6271

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my kitties is about 8 years old and had two radical mastectomies last year (one in February, the other in August) to remove mammary cancer. She did very well with the surgery both times.Unfortunately, my girl was not a candidate for chemo because her veins are so tiny and uncooperative, but so far everything seems good. She goes for her one year x-ray of her lungs later this month--if there are no tumors there we will consider her to be cancer free. If you decide to go ahead with the surgery, be prepared to be home with your girl for at least the first couple of days after surgery because she may need pain meds every 4 hours or so.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks you for the insight, so your kittie had them removed separetely? mine has one tumor  and they want to remove the whole chain all together, seams like it is really radical.

would think she would be in a lot more pain after . thinkng about a 2nd opinion  I do trust my vet though..  also he feels something in her abdoninal lyph noad, like a mass of some sort, said maybe it is just swelling, but has concern, also an xray before surgery of her lungs, if she has cancer there, he will not do the surgery.. I think we are going through with it,, have to give her a chance.. still very sad and concerned to say the least  thank you

ln6271

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl's first lump was discovered by a vet tech as they were waking her up after a dental. The vet tech called the vet over to have a feel and then they called me to ask if they could remove the lump and send it for biopsy. I gave my consent and the biopsy was positive for cancer--the mass they removed was about 1 cm and the margins were not clear. A couple of weeks after they removed the lump, they removed all her nipples on that side. She recovered from that surgery very well. We did try to do chemo on her (our vet recommended it because of the size of the tumor), but as I said my girl's veins just weren't big enough so that wasn't possible. Six months after that the vet felt a lump on one of my girl's remaining nipples. We did some x-rays to see if anything had metastasized to her lungs. Her lungs were clear so we went ahead with the second surgery and sent that tumor off for biopsy. This one was smaller than the first one and the margins were clear. 

I think what surprised me most about my girl after the surgeries was how quickly she was walking around. Both times she was walking over to the door to greet me as I came into the room by the second day after surgery. One thing to be prepared for--your kitty will have drains (rubber or latex tubes) in the incision when she comes home so she will need to be confined to a room with lots of towels or blankets or other washable things on the floor because she will likely drip. The drains will come out after a week, but there could still be a little bit of drainage for a day or two after that

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks you for the insight, so your kittie had them removed separetely? mine has one tumor  and they want to remove the whole chain all together, seams like it is really radical.

<snip>
Suspect they mean the whole chain was removed on both sides.

amandaluvscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone...I'm new here and unfortunately my kitty was just diagnosed with a mammory tumour! I am just devastated. My vet has recommended radical mastectomies on each side. I am just so scared to put her through this. The owners that have dealt with this can you please help me with what we should expect after surgery? They will be 10-14 days apart and she just had the lumpectomy and is still recovering from that! I am just beside myself with worry! And cannot imagine the pain this will cause her....please help!!!

ln6271

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After surgery she will have drains, so make sure you cover the floor and lower surfaces of her recovery room with blankets or towels you can wash. You will also want to be home with her the first couple of days so you can administer pain meds if she needs them.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure your vet will be giving her some effective pain relief.  You need to discuss this with him/her, and also make sure you understand what signs of your cat being in pain might be.