My cat has a huge stomach after eating

Farouh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. 2 year old female cat, spayed, kind of small in size always have a huge tummy after eating. I even thought she might be pregnant but she's spayed so it's impossible. What could be the problem? I give her flea treatment twice a year. She's an indoor/outdoor cat. She's very active. She eats dry food, wet food and sometimes home-cooked food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Does the swelling always go down after she digests her food? Looking pregnant seems as if this is quite distended, more than just from a big meal. Yes, she could have a full tummy after eating; however, a small cat suddenly looking pregnant puts this more into the "abdominal distention" category for me. There are a very long list of causes for that and they cover various conditions ranging from food intolerance to cancer. I would take her to the vet so that she could be at least examined for anything suspicious. Hopefully, this is not anything serious, but I would follow up with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farouh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does the swelling always go down after she digests her food? Looking pregnant seems as if this is quite distended, more than just from a big meal. Yes, she could have a full tummy after eating; however, a small cat suddenly looking pregnant puts this more into the "abdominal distention" category for me. There are a very long list of causes for that and they cover various conditions ranging from food intolerance to cancer. I would take her to the vet so that she could be at least examined for anything suspicious. Hopefully, this is not anything serious, but I would follow up with the vet.
I noticed today that she has swelling before eating. It's hard to the touch. Maybe she's getting fatter (i had her spayed almost 6 months ago). Also when she lies down on 1 side and stretches the swelling isn't noticeable (like when she used to be pregnant).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may well be gaining weight, they can and do, especially on a diet like hers. I would still let a vet make that determination, just to be certain.

londonthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not an expert by any means, but usually a distended tummy that is hard is not a good thing. Is she having any other symptoms? If she is, I would recommend a look at her feces and a vet visit to see if something is going on internally. If not, then she might be bloated or gassy and switching to a different diet may be an option. If she is having no other symptoms at all, then consider dialing down the food intake. (again I'm no expert, but this is my advice)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farouh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not an expert by any means, but usually a distended tummy that is hard is not a good thing. Is she having any other symptoms? If she is, I would recommend a look at her feces and a vet visit to see if something is going on internally. If not, then she might be bloated or gassy and switching to a different diet may be an option. If she is having no other symptoms at all, then consider dialing down the food intake. (again I'm no expert, but this is my advice)
There is no other symptoms at all! I can't look at her poop because she goes outside for that. I'll definitely check in with the vet though.