My Cat Hardly Sheds.. Is This Normal?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,
Welcome back to my channel. Lol.

My cat Jiggy is a 20 month old grey domestic shorthair cat and she is an indoor/outdoor cat. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she hardly sheds any hair regardless of the time of year. The only time I see fur is when I use a Furminator. She is fed Fancy Feast Pate (which has no cereals/grains) and Applaws dry.

I am currently looking after my sister's cats at the moment; one is a medium haired tabby and the other one is a calico. They're also indoor/outdoor cats and are fed the same thing Jiggy is fed and ohhhh my Buddha there is fur EVERYWHERE. Up my nose, in my mouth, everywhere.

So..... Do some cats shed less than others? I know certain pure breeds shed less than others but I thought domestic cats would shed quite similarly..

I know I shouldn't be complaining but it does seem old that I never see any loose grey fur.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats do shed less then others. My cat doesn't shed as much as my Rainbow Bridge kitty did. Alice is a longer haired cat with the undercoat and Patches was a short haired kitty. He shed more then she did though. I know they are different species but the same is true of dogs. Some breeds shed a lot and others shed very little.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have had cats that shed a lot, and some very little. I'm sure it is in the breeding. The three I currently have fill up my vaccuum cup every other day! I definitely have to thoroughly vaccuum before my grandson comes over or he would look like the Abominable Snowman!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be down to the individual Cat in most cases, of my 4 only one of them sheds much, but she makes up for the other 3 barely shedding. I can brush her one day and she'll already have loose hair flying off of her the next.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Every cat is different. My first kitten hardly did any shedding. Then when I got her littermate 6 weeks later I suddenly had fur flying everywhere. They're both DSH (Domestic Shorthair).

At one point I had 2 purebred and 7 DSH rescues. Two of the DSH csts did 90% of the shedding.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got an abundantly normal cat that I might trade for your broken one. :flail:
They are about the same color. I know this because everything I own is coated in gray.

Tuffysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Tuffy is black and I have been told he probably has some Bombay in him. He is a mixed shorthair and the only time I see cat hair is when I brush him. So thankful! He appeared on our doorstep at about 6 weeks old and soon became the center of our lives!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed, it definitely just depends on the cat. Our first cat was my grey Genever, and she hardly shed at all. I didn't really think about it. Then about a year and a half later we adopted our second cat, an orange tabby, and she shed a whole lot. I immediately realised Oh yeah, I forgot that cats shed! And the 2 we have now, well, I can just mention Ruth on here and she'll shed all over you. Sorry guys!