My cat had urinary blockage surgery, now what do i need to know?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 months ago, my 18 year old male cat had urinary blockage surgery.
what do i need to know to educate me?

Beginning with food
My vet provided the first cans of Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare with Chicken Wet Cat Food.(Formulated to support a cat's urinary health)
My cat gets nothing but this special cat food to eat,also have the dry version of c/d for urinary health
My cat had aggressively begged for his Temptations snacks---no way i am going to give in. Actually, gave him 5 nuggets about a week ago, then tossed the bag out
My cat seems to be begging for meat?.Other food. Even attempted to eat a cheese Danish. (ALWAYS has fresh plate of the prescription food available)
Any feedback on the above?

Cosequin for cats, That supplement has been extremely helped him for his joints,etc., what it says it will do in the past year
Any feedback with the Cosequin supplement? and UT health.

My cat is elderly, Dont see him making it another year or perhaps even 6 months as he loses body muscles. He's happy,sleeps alot. He can jump on tables still--wish he would not. Mentally he is of sound mind, his body is fragile. Still has a good appetite and drinks about 5-7 ounces? of water a day.

edit- if you look when i joined here, June 2004, he is what brought me to the Cat Site(with 2 other cats that are waiting for me on the other side of the rainbow)

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
My cat seems to be begging for meat?.Other food.
I realize he's not a kidney cat, but there might be something here regarding other/more food for him so that he can have his hunger appeased and hopefully avoid losing weight.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview

Can you get a pet fountain for him? He could benefit from drinking more. The Pioneer Pet fountain is a good one but there are others on the market. Have fresh clean bowls with fresh water at different levels and locations throughout the house, and ice cubes can make water seem more appealing :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I realize he's not a kidney cat, but there might be something here regarding other/more food for him so that he can have his hunger appeased and hopefully avoid losing weight.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview

Can you get a pet fountain for him? He could benefit from drinking more. The Pioneer Pet fountain is a good one but there are others on the market. Have fresh clean bowls with fresh water at different levels and locations throughout the house, and ice cubes can make water seem more appealing :)
He is never more then 1- 3 feet away from fresh bowls of cold spring or filtered water. 1 or 2 times a day i change them out. Religiously. His bowls are cleaned with very hot water, never soap. He drinks alot, about 5-7? ounces a water a day.
Will look into the link you posted, thanks.

Since i posted, he went crazy-wanting part of a ham sandwich i was eating. He never liked ham before. Gave him 4 mouthfuls of the thin ham and ate like he was starving. I always have fresh wet cat food available which he is eating pretty good--so there is some food mystery

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He drinks alot, about 5-7? ounces a water a day.
I've read that a cat needs about 4 ounces per five pounds of body weight a day :)

ate like he was starving. I always have fresh wet cat food available which he is eating pretty good--
You might double-check with the vet about this.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cosequin is actually recommended for cats with urinary problems. As for the food issues, maybe have your vet run some additional bloodwork, check his glucose and thyroid levels.