My cat had to be caged- tips???

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
Some backstory: My cat broke his foot. The vet said i had to keep him in a cage for 6 weeks, or the foot would not heal. :( I bought the biggest dog cage i could find that fits his litter box, food and water, some toys, blankets and him. I made sure its comfortable for him and put the cage by the window in my room, with some plants around. I cuddle with him everyday, and even go inside with him for more contact. I clean the litter box every day and give him food and fresh water. He is on prescribed pain killer for a week.
If anyone has any tips on how i can make it easy for him these 6 weeks I would really appreciate it!! <3

knut.jpg
knut2.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feliway plug ins, or something similar? Cat music? There is a lot on YouTube but there is also "real" cat music like David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify.

I have had to do this for sick ferals I have rescued and to be honest we made it through better than might have been expected. You have set up a lot to make his comfortable and are meeting his needs for affection certainly. Others may have some good ideas. Is the foot splinted? Wrapped?

-Cory-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing well so far. I second the suggestion for David Teie's cat music. I've been using it for my sick kitty the last few days and it does seem to keep her calmer. Unfortunately, some situations just are what they are and there's a limit to how much easier you can make it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't sure from looking at your pic but if he has a cat bed that might help comfort him too. Regarding toys, I wouldn't put anything in the cage with catnip because that might cause him to be more active, i.e. catnip has that affect on most kitties. ;)

Here's a thread that may have some other helpful tips for you. Although not exactly the same diagnosis, this cat also had to be confined. Patella Luxation Surgery

BTW, I noticed this is your first post. Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I hope you check out some of the other resources and articles on the site.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
ETA: I forgot to add a low sided litter box would also be helpful. I hope the six weeks goes by quickly and he recuperates well. :crossfingers:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had the misfortune to keep a cat enclosed for 6 weeks for his own good but I know people who have and they kept me up-to-date on the progress they made.
Three kittens who had spent the first 12 weeks of their lives with me plus their mama (a stray) and 2 siblings, had not been at their beautiful new home very long, when the man-of-the-house tripped over the dog and landed on one of the young cats. Panic, emergency operation, a badly broken hip and finally 6 weeks in a cage. The plaster cast was huge - it seemed to be bigger than the poor little cat. The cage was simply to stop the cat from running around and climbing. The cat was allowed out once a day to lie on the huge sofa with the very penitent man-of-the-house, the dog and the other kittens. With the huge plaster cast she probably didn't feel too much like running around anyway, but she definitely appreciated lying outstretched with her "family" in front of the fire.
If your kitty is co-operative you may be able to let him out regularly so long as he sits calmly with you. By the way, if it is (only) a broken foot, he will probably manage to enter a normal litter box, you will soon see if he can't.

I wish you and your cat lots of patience and good luck.

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to go through something similar 4 years ago when my cat tore her ACL in her left leg and had surgery for it. She had to be isolated and not allowed to be a cat (no jumping, running etc.) for 9 weeks. I bought a large pen (it was a dog pen) and had her in that.
As someone has mentioned you should probably get a low entrance litter box for your cat. The one you have might be difficult for him. What I did was take a cardboard box, cut it down and then lined the whole thing with duct tape (all along the inside bottom and sides) to "waterproof" it. I would clean it at least daily but usually once in the morning and again at night. Another thing I would suggest is to try to put the litter at the opposite corner from his food. I wouldn't want to eat right beside my toilet ;) I would also look into getting some type of bedding for him.
Feel free to message me if you want anymore tips as funnily enough, I'm sort of going through it all again. Last weekend my cat injured her ACL in her right leg this time. However with her age the vet doesn't recommend surgery. But I've still had to "cat" proof and I believe the healing time will be about the same.
Here is a picture of one of the low enter litter box I made this time.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
Feliway plug ins, or something similar? Cat music? There is a lot on YouTube but there is also "real" cat music like David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify.

I have had to do this for sick ferals I have rescued and to be honest we made it through better than might have been expected. You have set up a lot to make his comfortable and are meeting his needs for affection certainly. Others may have some good ideas. Is the foot splinted? Wrapped?
I will check out Feliway! I have tried some cat music on youtube, but he does not seem to enjoy it. I will try "real cat music". His food is from the vet and by his recommendation. He also gets gourmet wet food once a day with his medicine. Thank you for the tips!! :)

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
I think you're doing well so far. I second the suggestion for David Teie's cat music. I've been using it for my sick kitty the last few days and it does seem to keep her calmer. Unfortunately, some situations just are what they are and there's a limit to how much easier you can make it.
Alright, I will definetly try David Teie´s music!! Thank you for replying :)

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn't sure from looking at your pic but if he has a cat bed that might help comfort him too. Regarding toys, I wouldn't put anything in the cage with catnip because that might cause him to be more active, i.e. catnip has that affect on most kitties. ;)

Here's a thread that may have some other helpful tips for you. Although not exactly the same diagnosis, this cat also had to be confined. Patella Luxation Surgery

BTW, I noticed this is your first post. Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I hope you check out some of the other resources and articles on the site.
He does not have a cat bed, he loves sleeping on sheeps fur, which i have in the cage. Along with his favorite blankets. He was digging and being crazy in the middle of the night so I gave him some catnip last night, he was playful at first then fell right asleep. I will check out the thread! Thanks for the tips :)

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
I have not had the misfortune to keep a cat enclosed for 6 weeks for his own good but I know people who have and they kept me up-to-date on the progress they made.
Three kittens who had spent the first 12 weeks of their lives with me plus their mama (a stray) and 2 siblings, had not been at their beautiful new home very long, when the man-of-the-house tripped over the dog and landed on one of the young cats. Panic, emergency operation, a badly broken hip and finally 6 weeks in a cage. The plaster cast was huge - it seemed to be bigger than the poor little cat. The cage was simply to stop the cat from running around and climbing. The cat was allowed out once a day to lie on the huge sofa with the very penitent man-of-the-house, the dog and the other kittens. With the huge plaster cast she probably didn't feel too much like running around anyway, but she definitely appreciated lying outstretched with her "family" in front of the fire.
If your kitty is co-operative you may be able to let him out regularly so long as he sits calmly with you. By the way, if it is (only) a broken foot, he will probably manage to enter a normal litter box, you will soon see if he can't.

I wish you and your cat lots of patience and good luck.
Thank you for replying!! The vet said he is not allowed out of the cage. He must not walk around and jump on furniture. I asked if i could have him in a small room instead and he said no. I had to strictly follow his orders for his foot to heal without surgery. I have a check up in 3 weeks with the vet, I am hoping my cat heals fast and may be allowed out once a day! He manages to use the litter box just fine btw :)

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
I had to go through something similar 4 years ago when my cat tore her ACL in her left leg and had surgery for it. She had to be isolated and not allowed to be a cat (no jumping, running etc.) for 9 weeks. I bought a large pen (it was a dog pen) and had her in that.
As someone has mentioned you should probably get a low entrance litter box for your cat. The one you have might be difficult for him. What I did was take a cardboard box, cut it down and then lined the whole thing with duct tape (all along the inside bottom and sides) to "waterproof" it. I would clean it at least daily but usually once in the morning and again at night. Another thing I would suggest is to try to put the litter at the opposite corner from his food. I wouldn't want to eat right beside my toilet ;) I would also look into getting some type of bedding for him.
Feel free to message me if you want anymore tips as funnily enough, I'm sort of going through it all again. Last weekend my cat injured her ACL in her right leg this time. However with her age the vet doesn't recommend surgery. But I've still had to "cat" proof and I believe the healing time will be about the same.
Here is a picture of one of the low enter litter box I made this time.
The vet did not say anything about my litter box. My cat can move his foot just fine, but there is a slight break in the bone. So he has to rest for 6 weeks for it to heal without surgery. I will move the litter box away from his food. He has not had any problems with the litter box so far, so I think it is fine. I will look into getting a bed cause a lot of people are suggesting it, but he has never had a cat bed before. He enjoys sheeps fur, which I have put in the cage. I am sorry about your cat and hope she heals well!! <3 Thank you for the tips!!

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
Here is the updated set up! :) He is doing well and loves his litter box. Thank you all for answering!! <3
Btw he is 2 years old(not a kitten) :D

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I really think that you are doing the best you can with this and his set up does not look at all stressful or any more stressful than having to go through this in the first place.

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't see the sheep skin/blankets in the picture you had posted. I don't think t the cat bed is necessary now if you have those in the cage. I think your set up is pretty good as well and I wish you and your cat a speedy recovery. The six weeks might seem a little daunting, I know it did for me. But looking back on it now it went by quite fast. :)

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
I couldn't see the sheep skin/blankets in the picture you had posted. I don't think t the cat bed is necessary now if you have those in the cage. I think your set up is pretty good as well and I wish you and your cat a speedy recovery. The six weeks might seem a little daunting, I know it did for me. But looking back on it now it went by quite fast. :)
Thank you! Hope it goes fast <3

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
I really think that you are doing the best you can with this and his set up does not look at all stressful or any more stressful than having to go through this in the first place.
Thank you! your reply is reassuring :D

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like a great set up! When I have to cage kitties, I drape a dark sheet or bedspread over part of the cage to provide a darker place for them. It can help them relax and chill out. If he likes enclosed spaces, maybe a box with a hold cut out so he can go in and sleep (place some bedding in the box).

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know the vet I work for would certainly recommend taking the top off the litterbox to prevent climbing on top and jumping off. Preventing as much movement as possible is really the best thing for healing. We've had a shattered kitten leg heal perfectly without a splint and keep full use and motion thanks to strict cage rest with absolutely no jumping or climbing.