My Cat Had Blood Around Anus, What Is Causing It?

Foxfia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a 1.5 year old Male we adopted from the local humane society. Ever since we got him he had some tummy trouble, he had diarrhea often. We put him on a food that was meant for sensitive tummies and he has been fine ever since so thinking he may be sensitive to chicken and or fish. Anyways he has had healthy poops consistently for awhile now but tonight he had gone poop and it was a little bit lighter in color but still pretty solid, but he had bright red blood around his anus that looked like it was mixed with mucus. There was no blood in his stool though and he acted like he was in no pain at all, as after he went poop he was so energetic and playful we had a hard time catching him to clean the blood off. He sat just fine while we cleaned it so it must not have hurt him when we did it, he actually looked like he enjoyed it and he does not like being touched when he is in a playful mood ever! What could the blood have been caused from? His anus looked fine after we cleaned it, normal color and couldnt see any tears and it didnt bleed after it was cleaned. Is this something that needs emergency attention or something to give a few days to see if it happens again? Thanks.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.
Yes, bit of a late welcome.

Cats are extremely good at hiding pain. The thing that is really confusing me is that there was no blood in the stool. It's important to note that both constipation and diarrhea can cause blood in the stool of cats. Bright red blood without either diarrhea or hard, dry stools generally indicates the problem is closer to the rectum and anus.

Are you sure that there was dried blood on the stool? Dried blood can tend to be a darker color, such as brown, which would blend into the stool. Some common causes for blood are;

• Constipation
  • Impacted or infected anal glands
  • Hookworms
  • Gastroenteritis
  • Anal abscess
  • Recto-anal polyps
  • Cancer
  • Colitis or inflammatory bowel disease
  • Internal bleeding due to blood clotting disorders
Blood can originate internally, from the stomach and intestines (colon, rectum, anal canal) or externally, from the anus or the anal glands.
Blood may be seen on and around the anus, on the outside of the feces or throughout the feces. Other symptoms vary depending on the underlying cause but may include:

• Anal scooting – Dragging the bottom along the floor.
  • Difficulty defecating – Spending longer than normal in the litter tray or defecating outside the litter tray.
  • Painful defecation – Crying in the litter tray or defecating outside the tray due to associating the litter box with pain.
  • Swelling around the anus – Due to impacted anal glands or an anal gland abscess.
  • Mucus in the stool – Due to inflammation or infection.
  • Diarrhea – Loose, watery stools.
  • Blood in the urine – Due to internal bleeding caused by blood clotting disorders.

Please keep an extremely close eye on the kitty, again, these are all pretty serious conditions but because I'm not a vet, I cannot diagnose your kitty. I would definitely take the kitty to the vet for at least a check up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The MOST common cause for this is intestinal parasites, with coccidia and girardia infections a close second. All three are rampant in shelters, where cats have to be housed so closely. Once properly diagnosed, however, all three are fairly easily treated and cleared up. Take him into you vet as soon after the Hiliday today as you can manage, though. The longer you wait, the harder any of these will be to clear up.