My Cat Had A Stroke

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am doing physical therapy with her daily. It's easy and she seems to enjoy it. Thanks so much for your reply!

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd give her a minimum of 100mg CoQ10. You can get it in powdered form in a capsule and dump it in some food with a little water and syringe feed it to her.
Ok I will ask my vet about this. Thank you so much!!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about Mandy. I too had a cat who had a stroke, (a fairly severe one diagnosed by MRI) at age 15, probably secondary to CKD and Hypertension. At first she was paralyzed; could not walk or stand up, just rolled on the floor. I took her to ER immediately.

The Neurologist treating her told me that most cats who have strokes recover almost fully in about two weeks. He advised to keep her in a protected environment, no stairs, preferably a confined area, keep her well fed/hydrated.

As he said, she did make almost full recovery within two weeks. Each day I could see improvement in balance, strength and coordination. She did sleep a lot though.
I'd say she was fully recovered within four weeks.

Although I did not know anything about physical therapy at the time, I believe this would help speed up the healing process.

I wish Mandy a full and speedy recovery!

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about Mandy. I too had a cat who had a stroke, (a fairly severe one diagnosed by MRI) at age 15, probably secondary to CKD and Hypertension. At first she was paralyzed; could not walk or stand up, just rolled on the floor. I took her to ER immediately.

The Neurologist treating her told me that most cats who have strokes recover almost fully in about two weeks. He advised to keep her in a protected environment, no stairs, preferably a confined area, keep her well fed/hydrated.

As he said, she did make almost full recovery within two weeks. Each day I could see improvement in balance, strength and coordination. She did sleep a lot though.
I'd say she was fully recovered within four weeks.

Although I did not know anything about physical therapy at the time, I believe this would help speed up the healing process.

I wish Mandy a full and speedy recovery!
Oh wow sounds just like my gir. She has CKD and hypertension. I hydrate her daily and give meds for hypertension. I'm so afraid she will have another stroke. This is her second one. The vet did put her on anti coagulants this time so hopefully that will help. How is your girl now?

Joy

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow sounds just like my gir. She has CKD and hypertension. I hydrate her daily and give meds for hypertension. I'm so afraid she will have another stroke. This is her second one. The vet did put her on anti coagulants this time so hopefully that will help. How is your girl now?

Joy
At the time my girl had her stroke, she also had CHM, which was another contributing factor. The Cardiologist upped the blood pressure medication, but about 2 years later, she had another stroke, just a mini one. She recovered fully within a few days, then vet put her on anti coagulants and she never had another stroke.

She made it another 5 years past the initial stroke before her kidneys gave out. I think keeping the blood pressure well under control through frequent monitoring is a key. I would play C/D's of harp music for her too as it is said to lower blood pressure.

You are being a very caring cat mom and I wish Mandy a long life.

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the time my girl had her stroke, she also had CHM, which was another contributing factor. The Cardiologist upped the blood pressure medication, but about 2 years later, she had another stroke, just a mini one. She recovered fully within a few days, then vet put her on anti coagulants and she never had another stroke.

She made it another 5 years past the initial stroke before her kidneys gave out. I think keeping the blood pressure well under control through frequent monitoring is a key. I would play C/D's of harp music for her too as it is said to lower blood pressure.

You are being a very caring cat mom and I wish Mandy a long life.
Wow how old was she when she passed? Did you say she had CKD? Sounds like you took great care of her!

Mandy was put on BP meds after her first stroke but she still had another (much worse) one. Hopefully the anti coagulants will help. I’m suspicious that she had a long standing UTI and maybe that caused inflammation and the second stroke but I can’t be sure. I’m now giving her subcutaneous anti biotics because they finally found which bacteria she had.

Thanks so much for your encouragement!! Btw, I was playing harp music last night. She seemed to love it and I did too!!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girl passed at age 20 despite coping with CKD, HCM (sorry for the previous typo), and Diabetes. She was very gentle, easy to treat, and loved by everyone.

I am sorry about Mandy's long standing UTI and the resulting inflammation. I don't know if that was a contributing factor in the stroke, but I do think stress is a factor. The night my girl had her severe stroke, I had a dinner party earlier at my house. I believe the noise and commotion might have been contributing factor. I'll never know, but I never had another one while she was alive. From then on, I did my best to provide a very calm, peaceful and stress-free environment for her and added the harp music. Any way you can keep the blood pressure down is beneficial.

I wish Mandy a speedy and full recovery from her UTI.

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl passed at age 20 despite coping with CKD, HCM (sorry for the previous typo), and Diabetes. She was very gentle, easy to treat, and loved by everyone.

I am sorry about Mandy's long standing UTI and the resulting inflammation. I don't know if that was a contributing factor in the stroke, but I do think stress is a factor. The night my girl had her severe stroke, I had a dinner party earlier at my house. I believe the noise and commotion might have been contributing factor. I'll never know, but I never had another one while she was alive. From then on, I did my best to provide a very calm, peaceful and stress-free environment for her and added the harp music. Any way you can keep the blood pressure down is beneficial.

I wish Mandy a speedy and full recovery from her UTI.
Oh wow your girl lived to a ripe old age but I know of course losing them anytime is so painful. My girl also is pretty easy to treat although this last bout of illness has been very hard for me. She gets so many different treatments throughout the day!

Yes I love the harp music. What a great idea! Thank you so much. I think the environment in my home is pretty stress free and calm. Really not sure why she had two strokes but one of my vets said she may have a vascular abnormality that may never be found. Scary.

I think she has to be on these injectable anti biotics for four whole weeks. In the meantime I am giving her probiotics to help her system cope.

Do you have another kitty now?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are exactly right in that no matter how long they live, we are never ready to see them go. I know what you mean about being a full time nurse for a cat, but I consider it an honor and privilege, and would gladly do it all over again if I could.

Right now I have two 18 year old sisters, the last remaining from a litter of five I raised since tiny kittens.
Like most senior cats, they have a few health issues, so I am still a full time cat nurse. The one girl has high blood pressure. At first I panicked thinking here we go again with HCM, strokes, CKD. After full cardiology workup, extensive testing, bloodwork, no cause could be found. So she remains in good control with BP medication and I have her BP checked every 3 months.

I hope the injectable antibiotics are helping Mandy. You were wise to give probiotics to help replace the good bacteria being wiped out (along with the bad) by the antibiotic.

May each day bring healing and improvement for sweet Mandy!